2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My boot light stopped working and I really don't know why, my tailgate lights are working and I assume they use the same fuse? or am I wrong? Is there anyway I can pin point where the fault is??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Could be the bulb, check this first by swapping with another bulb from either no. Plate or sidelights as they are the same fitment.

JP

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the bulb, check this first by swapping with another bulb from either no. Plate or sidelights as they are the same fitment.

JP
Yeah I have tried changing few bulbs, I took the whole light out then replaced the bulb, no luck.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hello all!

My boot light stopped working and I really don't know why, my tailgate lights are working and I assume they use the same fuse? or am I wrong? Is there anyway I can pin point where the fault is??

Thanks
Try under bonnet fuse no. 17. The interior lights and vanity lights are on the same fuse

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out the problem was the actual unit itself, narrowed it down to the diode being the fault? The little black thing in the unit.

So I stripped the wires and installed LED strips instead, now they are very dim, like not enough power going in, anyone has this problem too? (It's not the LED fault as i've tested it and they are fine.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I found out the problem was the actual unit itself, narrowed it down to the diode being the fault? The little black thing in the unit.

So I stripped the wires and installed LED strips instead, now they are very dim, like not enough power going in, anyone has this problem too? (It's not the LED fault as i've tested it and they are fine.

Thanks
Did you get to the bottom of this? Measured the voltage going to the boot light unit and it's only 8-9 volts rather than 12 volt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope I didn't,

Few day ago I bought a 18LED boot light from aurorabulbs and it still doesn't work. I'm 100% sure it's something to do with the circuit, it's been broken since march and it's really annoying that I can't see anything when getting stuff from my boot.

I've checked fuse 17(Interior light) and that light is perfectly fine, all the interior lights are working, even the cig socket in the boot is working. At first i wasn't sure if it was the light unit or not.

Can someone please help? When I tried wiring a LED strip onto it, it's really really dim. Is there something wrong?

Will fuse 14 or 15 Interior fuse box affect it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
If its not reading 12v, you may have a bad connection on one of the wires,

Place a voltmeter between the +12v on the light and an earth elsewhere and see what voltage you get.
Also check the resistance between the earth on the light and an earth elsewhere. you should be able to work out if there's a problem with the wiring from this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check the wires later, when I open the boot a notification pops up on my dash. Which means the sensors are fine right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's returning around 3-4V, I believe the wires might be corroded, does anyone know how I can access the wires so I can check them out?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 2 hours in Honda they told me there is a problem with the ECU and I would need to send it in for repairs, probably going to cost £400....

They offered me a cheaper option, £89 which is to install a manual switch next to the unit so I toggle it on and off and save £300!

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
After 2 hours in Honda they told me there is a problem with the ECU and I would need to send it in for repairs, probably going to cost £400....

They offered me a cheaper option, £89 which is to install a manual switch next to the unit so I toggle it on and off and save £300!

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. I bet they don't want to chase out the wires to find out where there's a high resistive joint... I'd go to another Honda garage and see what they say. With electrics, it tends to be a termination has corroded or come loose normally. The weakest link is always the connections. You could strip back the boot liner to check the wiring and take out the boot switch to see if that's at fault. I could understand the boot switch going to the ecu to tell it wether it's open or not, but I'd doubt it supplying the lamp with 12V. Get a second opinion buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They gave me a discount as I've paid for the labour before or something, £78 in total with a switch...

I tested it myself and it was showing around 6V. I'm not sure how to strip it down so I just paid for the switch, been too long without a light!

I'm not too happy with the switch and if I forget to turn it off it'll drain all my battery, but for now, I can say it's all fixed! Although I doubt the ECU will give it an extra 6V to make it 12... When I open the boot my dash says my boot is open, I assume all the sensors are fine, I guess you're right that there might be corrosion to some wire between the battery and the light unit.

P.S. they gave me a free light unit too!!

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. I bet they don't want to chase out the wires to find out where there's a high resistive joint... I'd go to another Honda garage and see what they say. With electrics, it tends to be a termination has corroded or come loose normally. The weakest link is always the connections. You could strip back the boot liner to check the wiring and take out the boot switch to see if that's at fault. I could understand the boot switch going to the ecu to tell it wether it's open or not, but I'd doubt it supplying the lamp with 12V. Get a second opinion buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts