2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you open the boot you have the 2 piston levers either side which holds the boot lid open while you do your thing.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that it opens fine, but only upto head height. Normally it used to open upto 4 inches above my head height.

I noticed this when i've ended up wacking my head on the boot lid edge nearly 5 times now:confused::(

If i push by hand it opens fine. What i'm basically trying to get at, is it doesnt open freely anymore like it use to. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this other than get a knew set? Anyone else having this problem?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Yea I've noticed this too recently - thought it was due to the cold

·
Registered
12 Posts
Boot lid gas struts

I had mine fail just before Christmas. After banging my head a couple of times they had to be dealt with. I was prepared to argue with the garage on safety grounds etc but they did not argue and replaced them under warranty.

The new ones work fine at the moment and its been absolutely freezing lately.

I'd see what the garage say. Mine took 15mins to diagnose, and 25 mins to change a about a week later.

·
<3
2,103 Posts
Hmm i noticed this too.. I doubt very much I will have any luck at the dealers though hehe :D

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. Glad its just not me getting a knock on the head!

Can anyone recommend a set from that site, as I dont know the dimensions, rod diameter or working force!?!?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
As I said before, they probably aren't knackered. They are gas struts, and the pressure in them is proportional to their temperature. When it's cold, the pressure in them drops and they then won't support the weight of the tailgate. It's basic physics. Years ago I worked for BT, and my Fiesta van was fitted with a security grille over the window in the tailgate after the locals in Salford had helped themselves to my tools a few times by smashing the glass. Unfortunately in Winter the gas struts were no longer up the job of keeping the tailgate up with the extra weight of the steel grille, which was a real pain in the head, literally! When the weather warms up a bit, all will be well:)

·
No Jedi mind tricks pls
394 Posts
My struts do the same ! cmon honda we are all not the same height as you in eastern lands ???? and yes i have a sore head too wi banging it off the boot lid lol,,,, dont half feel stupid too esp as it was in Morrisons car park

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I said before, they probably aren't knackered. They are gas struts, and the pressure in them is proportional to their temperature. When it's cold, the pressure in them drops and they then won't support the weight of the tailgate. It's basic physics. Years ago I worked for BT, and my Fiesta van was fitted with a security grille over the window in the tailgate after the locals in Salford had helped themselves to my tools a few times by smashing the glass. Unfortunately in Winter the gas struts were no longer up the job of keeping the tailgate up with the extra weight of the steel grille, which was a real pain in the head, literally! When the weather warms up a bit, all will be well:)
Will keep that in mind. I've noticed that one some days it will open no problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Open length: 640
Stroke length: 260
Rod diameter: 8mm Rod 18mm Body
Rod end fitting: 10mm ball stud plastic cut back
Cylinder end fitting: 10mm ball stud plastic cut back
Force: 475

my force was put up to 575 but this is too much id say about 500 should surfice

or these are same as originals http://www.sgs-engineering.com/pages/strutsearch/make/honda/range/Civic the top ones

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Basics physics it may well be but like others have said - mine does it in the summer too. I've only ever owned hatchbacks and this is the first car which i've had a problem with. Mine probably is worse when it's cold but it certainly won't be all well when the weather warms up.

I'm sure mine aren't knackered either but i'll be mentioning it when it goes in for a service next week.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Winter, summer, spring, makes no difference. The strut lift force is insufficient for the weight of the hatch lid.
I always have had to push it up the last foot or so. (had the car 3 years now). Looks like the after market ones are the only answer as the Honda original ones are too weak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts