2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread about this in the Bugs... section, but realise it should have been in the electrics section. It's all sorted now so I thought I'd let you all know what happened.
About a month ago during the really cold weather, the boot lid on my Civic stopped opening, and a couple of days later the alarm system started acting strangely: when I would unlock the car, get in and close the door, the alarm system would arm itself, even though the car was not locked. Putting the key in the ignition would disarm it again. My local garage suggested that it might be something to do with the cold, and suggested I just wait to see if it fixed itself when the weather got better! Needless to say, the fault persisted and I was forced to take it to my "local" Honda dealer (20 miles away) to have it checked out last Friday.
After an hours diagnosis with the dealer, he produced a Honda service bulletin which said that the boot lid not opening was an identified fault and was linked to the drivers door lock. The suggested action was to replace the drivers door lock, and if that did not fix the problem then the tailgate lock should be replaced as well. The dealer also said that he believed the alarm fault was a symptom of the boot lid problem, and fixing the boot lid would fix the alarm as well.
I booked the car in to have the work done on Monday, and got the car back on Tuesday evening (yesterday). All seems to be well now, the boot opens again and the alarm is working normally.
In the end both locks had to be replaced, and including the diagnosis time and the time to make the repair the total bill was £254.53. :( I was shocked at the price, but the service from the dealer was very good (Donnelly & Taggart Honda, Ballymena). They provided me with a free courtesy car for 4 days (I left my car with them over the weekend as I live so far away from them) and even offered me a lift into town while the problem was being diagnosed, as well as washing and vacuuming the car before returning it to me.
This is the first problem I've had with my Civic in the 3 years I've had it. I am very happy with my car and so long as there are no more big repair bills like this I will continue to enjoy it. :D

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Had the same problem with my boot a couple of weeks ago. Went to wash the car on the sat, boot lid opened no problem. Went back to it on the sunday and it would not open!:mad: so got in via the back seats. Work away from home so the car was standing for a couple of days, drove it home, and the next day to my surprise the boot lid was fine and has been ever since. I just put it down to the cold weather as when it failed to open it was freezing! As for the locking, got into the car the other day and when i shut the door the locks re-set themselves, did it a couple of times but then just seem to sort it's self out, and has been fine ever since, it was cold that day as well so just put it down to that also. Hopefully wont need to go near the dealers as skint at the min:( and the brakes are needing doing soon!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I had seen your previous thread whilst searching online for a solution, and just saw this update.

I have the same problem with my 2001 Accord (sadly the only informative Accord forum I was part of has since closed).

The promlem started last autumn and a few weeks later seemed to open again. About december it happened again and hasnt rectified itself since.
My local Honda told me they would charge me £100 per hour, plus parts!! There is nothing on earth that would make me pay that much. The price you paid wouldnt have been a problem.

Did they just replace both locks? Didnt need to do anything electrical?
Im not technically minded, but im sure I could replace a couple of locks. I did take the boot lock(white box) off but I didnt know what I was looking for.

Any help info greatly appreciated. Its starting to drive me mad, and I have a pending road trip planned.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I'm guessing you mean THAOC, which seems to have split and died or something, which is a shame as it was quite good.

We have an Accord section here too which may be of some help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats the job! I did stumble upon a new Accord forum earlier today which appears to be its replacement.

Thank you, I didnt actually realise you had an Accord section. Look forward to getting acquainted with it.

With reference to the boot lock issue here, I am wondering if part number(s) are accessible anywhere? Assuming they are different to Civic.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Thats the job! I did stumble upon a new Accord forum earlier today which appears to be its replacement.

Thank you, I didnt actually realise you had an Accord section. Look forward to getting acquainted with it.

With reference to the boot lock issue here, I am wondering if part number(s) are accessible anywhere? Assuming they are different to Civic.
Our Accord section is quite small, but worth a try.

Is this the replacement forum you found?
TypeAccord - UK's Premier Honda Accord Owners Club Resource Forum

Try the Lings website for part numbers.
I am quite sure it will be different to the Civic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is the one I found yes. Hopefully it will blossom.

Now ive pinpointed a possible solution, I may attempt it. If I have no luck, I know a guy who is bound to fit it.

Very helpful, thanks a lot!
Hope to get to know people on here.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
The new shape landrover freelanders suffer the same problem,had one a month ago when the boot would not open,found out that the switch is prone to fill with water and knacker the micro switch inside causing the alarm to go off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had this problem on my 06 Civic about two years ago during winter. Its just come back in the last week. I don't now drive to work so my car stands unused most of the week - and even if I do use it I won't necessarily use the boot, so it could have been a problem for much longer. Gutted to see this could be another £250 bill. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had similar problem on my C-Max, the micro switch failed so you couldn't use the boot release on the car - luckily the remote has a boot release on it as well so you could still get in from the outside.

I think a new micro switch assembly cost about 20quid from the dealer and took about 15 minutes to fit - hopefully the Civic is equally as simple a job??

Si

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are not able to unlock the boot since there's no electric signal coming please slam the diriver's door strongly. It should help because the problem is with the driver's door lock which has microswitch to boot lock.
The dirver's door lock is the central lock giving signal to other locks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts