2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the boot wouldn't open, so climbed through and unlocked it manually put my stuff in and didn't think to much of it until and got in to the drivers seat with the ignition on and when i shut the door all the locks sounded to unlock twice. Iv stripped the tailgate removed and tested the lock which is ok and the switch is ok also. Found another thread on here saying the locks are connected. Has anyone else had this problem? sounds like its the drivers lock causing the fault is there a fix or new lock needed, if so any ideas how much it is as the car is out of warranty, cheers

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Hi,

I had this problem fixed 2 weeks ago, car out of warranty (06 plate), part replaced was the dirvers door actuator (always seems to be this part at fault),
part no. 72100-SMG-E03, cost £160 all in (dealer fault finding, part & fitting) :( My symptons were exactly as yours, even down to the doors locking / unlocking. Dealer Benfield Stockton, part is about £50 + VAT.

Good luck :)

Reactions: bigzx6rman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that will order one in the morning, Honda reliability? i have my doubts, going back to toyota with next car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to honda this morning and they know of the fault with the locks, so how are they on back order for 4 weeks? Its going to be a ball ache climbing through the back seats everytime i want to use the boot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You will need to get to the boot via your back seats there is a small access cover on the inside of the boot lid. Remove the cover using a straight edge screwdriver. There is a lever behind the panel which allows you to release the boot.

I have had the same problem on my 06 for the past week and it's been a nightmare not being able to open the boot normally and having to climb through the back seats each time to release it.

Keep your eye on this thread over the next couple of days as I may have some news on a diy repair for this problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a quick update from my previous post. I managed to get my hands on the part at fault, the drivers door latch mechanism. Managed to remove the old part and fit the new part myself over the weekend and it has done the trick. Boot is now opening as normal. I will try and do a write up of how I did it when I get chance. If anyone has the same problem I can supply the genuine honda part. Look out for my posting on the for sale section soon.

I'm glad I managed to fix this myself and saved on labour costs Honda were looking to charge.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the drivers door lock will fit it at the weekend although for the last few days the boot has been operating normally. On the plus point got round to getting it remapped and what a difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any more updates on this? My boot has stopped opening and the car does the lock unlock thing when you use the central locking. How do you tell if it's the solenoid or the door latch? Are they easy to fit? Any info appreciated as having just lost my job I could do without spending £160 so I can open the boot!

Also if it's a known issue will Honda do anything about it if you hassle them?

Cheers
:)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Any more updates on this? My boot has stopped opening and the car does the lock unlock thing when you use the central locking. How do you tell if it's the solenoid or the door latch? Are they easy to fit? Any info appreciated as having just lost my job I could do without spending £160 so I can open the boot!

Also if it's a known issue will Honda do anything about it if you hassle them?

Cheers
From what I know, fitting involves removing drivers door panel, remove / unplug old actuator unit, plug in new, re-fit door trim. I think J4MMY is doing a 'how to' for this. I wish I had done the job myself and saved circa £100 Honda labour charges. :(

The part number you need is 72100-SMG-E03, about £50 + VAT.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
From what I know, fitting involves removing drivers door panel, remove / unplug old actuator unit, plug in new, re-fit door trim. I think J4MMY is doing a 'how to' for this. I wish I had done the job myself and saved circa £100 Honda labour charges. :(

The part number you need is 72100-SMG-E03, about £50 + VAT.

Good luck

Hi, thanks for that, is it always that unit? is it never the soloniod in the boot?

CHeers

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
certainly the problems on here have not be related to the boot lock but the drivers door actuator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just an update. I called my local Honda dealer who are aware of the door latch issues and because there has been a recal on the faulty part I can order a new one for £3 instead of £50. They still want nearly £90 inc VAT to fit it but at least the part is cheaper. They are ordering me one in so I have the weekend to decide if I want to risk creating even bigger problems trying to fit it myself!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Haven't seen one but it is a common problem which is something that dealers are changing now. Wouldn't attempt it yourself unless your mechanically minded as is a really fiddly job.

·
Registered
275 Posts
it isnt a recall, only on customer complaint. there was a recall two years ago on the same units, a bit embarresing how they are starting to fail again!

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Just an update. I called my local Honda dealer who are aware of the door latch issues and because there has been a recal on the faulty part I can order a new one for £3 instead of £50. They still want nearly £90 inc VAT to fit it but at least the part is cheaper. They are ordering me one in so I have the weekend to decide if I want to risk creating even bigger problems trying to fit it myself!
did you get it for £3..

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Hi,
I have owned two Civics with boot lock problem. 1st was fixed under warranty when car was less than 1 year old, second was a recall and they replaced the drivers door acuator.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
boot lock

i love forums they are so much help my car started to do this now i know what i've got to order thanks everyone :perfect10:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts