2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've tried searching the internet and the using the search function built in to CivInfo but have had varied results back and not so much relating to the Gen 9 so I thought I'd start my own thread, please link me if you know of a relevant thread though please!

Basically when driving on bumpier roads there is a very annoying plastic-y rattle sound coming from the rear, now I believe it's likely the spoiler/tailgate as it is made of plastic and when tapping this area it does appear to have potential for rattling when driving but I cannot confirm this on my own unfortunately.

Has anyone experienced similar?

My car is still under warranty, I'm guessing the best thing to do is have the garage take a look at it but if it's something simple I'm willing to repair it myself as it's just easier.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Dealer may be the easiest option; Is it definitely from the far rear?

Check all the door pockets for loose trash, as that's the cause 99% of the time; From there, the two side cabinets in the boot - Make sure everything is snug / clipped in place.
From there, check the seatbelt up/down adjuster next to your head - I feel like this has been a source of some rattly sounds, but since cured after moving it up and down a bit and getting it to seat; Not sure if that was just me though!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Check the tailgate bump stops. I had this rattle and I had to adjust the rubber stops on either side of the tailgate, they just screw out. To get the perfect fit slide a piece of paper under each stop, close the tailgate then adjust them until you can't pull the paper out without it ripping. Hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had/have this exact issue and managed to isolate it and partly fix it via the Dealer.

For me, it is the plastic trim that goes horizontally along the top of the boot lid - open the boot and it's where the interior boot lid meets the roof liner. It is a long plastic fascia with a slot at each end (near the corners where parcel shelf hangs from) which are release clips. I believe you release the clip at each end then gently pull the trim away to undo the other clips. My dealer fitter foam etc. to try and fix it. Apparently it was loose clips. It appeared to be fixed but is now intermittent so I may have a go at it myself.

Can I suggest you go a drive with someone in the back seat and ask them to hold the trim pieces down to try and work out where your problem is before you start unclipping trim fascia.

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
If the tailgate bump stops are badly adjusted, the resulting 'rattle' is seriously loud and from your description of the noise it's not that. But check them anyway.0:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the tailgate bump stops. I had this rattle and I had to adjust the rubber stops on either side of the tailgate, they just screw out. To get the perfect fit slide a piece of paper under each stop, close the tailgate then adjust them until you can't pull the paper out without it ripping. Hope this makes sense!
If the tailgate bump stops are badly adjusted, the resulting 'rattle' is seriously loud and from your description of the noise it's not that. But check them anyway.0:)

I had a look at these earlier guys, they did seem to be all the way screwed in as far as I could tell. I have now adjusted the two bump stops and hopefully tomorrow sometime during my drive to work I'll think.. "huh it's not rattling!" fingers crossed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer may be the easiest option; Is it definitely from the far rear?

Check all the door pockets for loose trash, as that's the cause 99% of the time; From there, the two side cabinets in the boot - Make sure everything is snug / clipped in place.
From there, check the seatbelt up/down adjuster next to your head - I feel like this has been a source of some rattly sounds, but since cured after moving it up and down a bit and getting it to seat; Not sure if that was just me though!

I usually keep my car free of trash but did check everything over, all appeared to be fine! I have adjusted the rubber stops that are on the boot so hopefully that will be the answer! Will update you all when I can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had/have this exact issue and managed to isolate it and partly fix it via the Dealer.

For me, it is the plastic trim that goes horizontally along the top of the boot lid - open the boot and it's where the interior boot lid meets the roof liner. It is a long plastic fascia with a slot at each end (near the corners where parcel shelf hangs from) which are release clips. I believe you release the clip at each end then gently pull the trim away to undo the other clips. My dealer fitter foam etc. to try and fix it. Apparently it was loose clips. It appeared to be fixed but is now intermittent so I may have a go at it myself.

Can I suggest you go a drive with someone in the back seat and ask them to hold the trim pieces down to try and work out where your problem is before you start unclipping trim fascia.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I have currently adjusted the rubber boot stops but if that isn't the cause of the plastic-y rattle I'll try look at this. Like you said, it'll probably be beneficial if I were to have somebody ride in the back of the car to try and pinpoint the rattle!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a complete side note, I appreciate the profile picture - Seems like a large number of Civic drivers seem to work in IT? :p

It's the desktop wallpaper on my work PC as a reminder ;)

Funnily enough, there are more Honda's where I work than any other car! So you may be on to something :wink3:

I'd just like to report as well that after adjusting the bumper stops has definitely helped with the rattle, it's not completely gone away but I would say there has been a huge improvement compared to before. Thanks to everyone who posted here with solutions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts