2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I took off my front calipers today for a refurb and noticed this:

This lower arm was only fitted by Kwik Fit 4 months ago... do I have warranty on this and should they put it right? I’d expect more than 4 months till a boot splits!

Thanks

Fraser

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I would say take it back to them as all work carries 12 months warranty. Did they actually change it? I’m not really a fan of kwik-fit. If you have the receipt then take it back to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

No I won’t be using them again - went to them for convenience and before I was into any of this car DIY stuff. I’ll give them a call. What’s the actual name of this part of the arm?

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
that's a ball joint.

did they supply the part or did you?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - they supplied the part

·
i-Vtec
4,103 Posts
Yea get it back to them, that's an instant MOT fail. Id say that's actually been put on like that, they don't fail like that, they dry out through time and perish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the boots replaced by Honda dealer and think its worth the money to get the proper Honda ones, cost about €30 each plus another €30 to fit but lasts a good 10 years, bottom wishbone needs to be replaced if this ball join fails and part alone is €300.
Didn't want to chance replacing myself in case I tore the boot, think the 30min labour per side by fair.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed @Das and @Wilmo - will get onto them on Monday

@Sligmagy that’s seems reasonable though as the garage have used a new aftermarket arm I’m not sure a genuine Honda would fit now... I could be wrong. Either way it’s going back to them to fix. I’d probably try and give it a go myself if it wasn’t fitted by a garage, would need a ball joint remover but I think it’s a worth while tool to have in the collection.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Done by Kwik Fit...

I got ripped off by them twice as a younger man, once for the infamous rear shocks that didn't need replacing and the other time for an AC regas where they claimed it was cooler after DESPITE THE F**KING COMPRESSOR BEING BROKEN.

I'd actually rather hire a car or try and fix mine in all weathers with candle light than trust any of the big garage chains.

You can try going back but they'll just fit the same cheap $hit part that'll go again after a few months perhaps. Give it a go anyway as long as they don't make something else up or ask for more money!

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Not sure if that ball joint is available as a separate part.
Honda parts list does not show it except as integral part of the whole arm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the repair savvy folks, you can get a replacement boot from the internet and fit a new one with new grease. I always keep various ones (sizes) on the workshop shelf and replace any that look suspect during my MOT pre-check :)
BTW:
This part is called many things, Track control arm, Lower Wishbone, among others :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the repair savvy folks, you can get a replacement boot from the internet and fit a new one with new grease.
Just one (of many) sources of boots :)
Universal Ball Joint Premium Rubber Boots - MULTIPACK of 20 Boots | eBay

You could change it yourself, though you will need a good set of spanners and a balljoint breaker and be warned they can be ****** tight, mine went with an almighty crack! when I changed the wishbones and that was with a good old Sykes Pickavant splitter, don't be tempted to adopt the Old-Guy method of a hammer and a sharp tap these wishbones can damage easy.

I guess this kind of "tear" could have been caused if you ran into a snow/ice drift and forced ice in there :) .

Laurie.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks @larristonrigg - I’ve saved that eBay listing should Kwik Fit somehow wriggle out of this; regardless of the weather it should last longer, and I didn’t drive when there was snow on the ground.
Do I need to disconnect any other parts of the arm or can I just disconnect the ball joint for this repair?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This might be a stupid question but it’s not something I might have damaged taking off the calipers? I turned the steering wheel so the caliper was facing outward, I couldn’t have turned it too far and it and tore the boot?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This might be a stupid question but it’s not something I might have damaged taking off the calipers? I turned the steering wheel so the caliper was facing outward, I couldn’t have turned it too far and it and tore the boot?
No you shouldn't be able to damage the boot by turning the wheel either way to the stops, You could have pinched it if you were doing any leavering off that area but that's really unlikely.

You should be able to undo the one nut and crack the joint taper from the suspension leg (strut) Then and with a bit of leaver on the wishbone and the leg turned out it should give you room to clear the thread.
Be careful not to allow the leg to come too far away from the car (spread eagle) so as not to pop your driveshaft out.
Most of all support the car well with axle stand as you may need a little pressure to pull the wishbone down and clear.

I would say the usual way a boot is damaged is with either someone getting it pinched with a ball joint cracker or someone using a leaver off that point for whatever reason :)

Good luck
Laurie.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
To me, that looks like somebody has tried to split the joint with a 'fork type' ball joint splitter. Its conceivable that it was fitted, then had to be split before refitting when the lower arm was changed.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would a new arm not come fitted with a new boot?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
It would yeah.

I was suggesting the arm was fitted (partially or fully) then could have been removed. I have certainly started jobs then ended up taking things apart again due to an oversight or error.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Makes sense - haven’t got in touch with Kwik Fit yet as I have only just got my calipers back from sandblasting, and need to find time around this bogging weather to fit them back on

1 - 20 of 34 Posts