2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the original Stabilus boot struts with Kilen struts and I'm not satisfied with the results — the boot still doesn't open "on its own" (with a bit of help), and I need to pull it quite a lot in the lower 1/3 part of the range (feels like even more than before when I thought the original struts were failing).

On the webshop I bought Kilen on, both Kilen and Stabilus have the same spec: 465 N, 596.5 mm length, 221 mm stroke. But when I took Stabilus out, I've noticed that on them it is stamped 475 N — I don't think this 10 N of difference (2%) would translate to anything noticeable, would it?

Did I receive faulty struts, or is this hard-to-open behaviour expected (and the originals which I threw out were fine), or is Kilen a bad brand?
If the latter, on the same webshop I can also buy Lesjofors and Magneti Marelli for a similar price to Kilen. Stabilus struts are twice expensive (and rated at 465 N, not 475 N like the originals). Any experience with any of these?

I've tried to see if maybe some other car model has similar struts (preferably: same length and stroke, but a bit stronger force), but I couldn't find anything. Even Type-R has the same struts, even though it has a wing!?
I've found that you could put some Mercedes struts on 8th gen Civic, but I didn't find anything like that for 9th gen.

· Registered
170 Posts
Not sure what you're experiencing. My MK9 is 10 years old and has done a lot of miles, and I normally have to give my boot a bit of a "throw" upwards after pressing the boot release. It doesn't open automatically? I'll check the specs of my struts when I get back in the car later. I think as long as the boot holds itself open at full extension it's about as can be expected.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you're experiencing. My MK9 is 10 years old and has done a lot of miles, and I normally have to give my boot a bit of a "throw" upwards after pressing the boot release. It doesn't open automatically? I'll check the specs of my struts when I get back in the car later. I think as long as the boot holds itself open at full extension it's about as can be expected.
In other cars, when you press the boot release, you can basically lift the boot with one finger and no power.
On my Civic, it takes a substantial force to force it in the lower 1/3 of the range, and just after that point the struts are finally strong enough to really help you out with opening the boot, where you can do it without sweating.

· i-Dtec
6,467 Posts
Worth measuring the struts and seeing if they are the same length as the Gen8 ones. The Merc ML versions are fantastic. In the summer I push the button and the lid virtually lifts itself. I can measure the length of mine and let you know if you want?

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worth measuring the struts and seeing if they are the same length as the Gen8 ones. The Merc ML versions are fantastic.
From what I was able to find, Gen8 has 639 mm length and 258 mm stroke, with 465 N force. Mercedes ML is basically the same geometry-wise: 640 mm length, 260 mm stroke, with significantly stronger force: 510 N.

Unfortunately, Gen9 is different. As I've written above: 596.5 mm length, 221 mm stroke.

· Registered
2014 Civic 1.6 I-DTEC Sport
4 Posts
From what I was able to find, Gen8 has 639 mm length and 258 mm stroke, with 465 N force. Mercedes ML is basically the same geometry-wise: 640 mm length, 260 mm stroke, with significantly stronger force: 510 N. Unfortunately, Gen9 is different. As I've written above: 596.5 mm length, 221 mm stroke.
Hey, did you figure this out in the end? Mine are shot and would prefer to get ones better suited.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,497 Posts
Might also be worth checking if the 9G TypeR has more powerful ones to cope with any additional spoiler weight.

I had my 9G for nearly 9 years and never had any issues. Could this be the colder weather affecting them as posted elsewhere ?

· Registered
2014 Civic 1.6 I-DTEC Sport
4 Posts
Might also be worth checking if the 9G TypeR has more powerful ones to cope with any additional spoiler weight.

I had my 9G for nearly 9 years and never had any issues. Could this be the colder weather affecting them as posted elsewhere ?
good suggestion… could be, it’s about ten years so I’d imagine it’s just losing some gas, sick of hitting my head!

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, did you figure this out in the end? Mine are shot and would prefer to get ones better suited.
No, unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything with the similar dimensions and with higher force.

So, first I bought Kilen struts which, although correctly specced, were too weak.
Then I bought Lesjofors struts which are better, and are currently on my car. But I would still prefer if there was an option for a slightly stronger struts....

· Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts