2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my mugen style spoiler fitted on my type s gt but now my boot won't always stay open. I believe I need stronger boot struts (if that's what they're called). What struts should I get?

·
Registered
151 Posts
A lot of people rate the SGS Engineering ones, I fitted these and the right hand side one is now weeping oil at an alarming rate for something that was only fitted three months ago (changed them both simultaneously with a wooden blank holding the tailgate up so no uneven wear).

They ping the boot up something fierce though, nearly took my face off the first time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got the merc ML ones, don't get your chin in the way :laugh2:
I take it boot struts are a pretty universal application that can be used across different brands and models? I may look into these!

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
We're they off eBay? Do you have an item number or what model of Mercedes are they originally for?
A lot on here swear by them bu both of mine worked fine for a few month, on one occasion the boot almost gave my Mrs an uppercut but they both leaked after a few month and their effectiveness wasn't as good.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Aha, have to say they were very good. Actually a quid cheaper than last year.

·
R-398
702 Posts
A lot of people rate the SGS Engineering ones, I fitted these and the right hand side one is now weeping oil at an alarming rate for something that was only fitted three months ago (changed them both simultaneously with a wooden blank holding the tailgate up so no uneven wear).

They ping the boot up something fierce though, nearly took my face off the first time.
Im literally crying with laughter at this! Every time I read it I get worse haha

On topic I was thinking about the struts on mine. Current ones open at a snail pace, in contrast to when I close when it really slams shut.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
What about fitting just one Merc one on my car? Will it make the hatch 'lighter' without taking my face off?[smilie=confuzzled.:[/quote]

Can't say for sure the following applies for those and other struts fitted to vehicle hatchbacks, but those fitted to machinery opening guards etc in my experience all were adjustable for pressure by release of gas via a grub screw at the base of the strut body.

Care to taken as easy as is to release any gas, there's no way to get any back in there. (would have thought any gas strut 'bought off the shelf' with same stroke and body length together with same body and rod dia. would do the trick-if facility to adjust pressure as above)

·
Registered
60 Posts
What about fitting just one Merc one on my car? Will it make the hatch 'lighter' without taking my face off?[smilie=confuzzled.:[/quote]

Just fit two and be done with it. Mine has the Type-R spoiler and it just opens ok. It will not take your face off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts