2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a mk8 civic 2009 1.8i vtec. Yesterday while driving my car overheated, first time its done this. I got home checked and topped up fluids and ran the car on the drive after letting it cool down. The temp creeped back up again, if i put the heating on full it goes down. I then noticed neither the AC fan or the main fan comes on at all. i've checked fuses and they are ok. Anyone any ideas. I am a noob but capable in doing repairs.

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

Check the lower coolant temp sensor connection at the base of the rad. This is known to corrode and fail.

There's usually another on the top of the engine that would also be worth checking.

Also test the fans, disconnect and hook up a 12v direct connection to each, with a earth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Farqui,

Same issue here. 2 Exceptions only from previous case: coolant temp is ok (in the normal range)..and AC not working (compressor not engaging).
Fuses are good, and lower radiator temp sensor looks good (I imagine that is were the dash engine temp is taken).
So I would ask the following:
- Where is this top of the engine sensor located more preciselly?
- Any ideas where I should start this from?

PS is there any way I can check the level of regrigerant in the system? I was told that the compressor may not engage if refrigerant is low.

Any tip is highly appreciated,
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
only way to test the pressure is with a gauge plugged in to the system

if you buy a d I y regas you usually get the correct fitting and gauge to test in future

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for replies!

I'll get a regas kit to see if I got any refrigerant in the system.
@Farqui: shouldn't I get some false reading (or no reading) on the temp gauge if the radiator temp sensor was faulty? just asking.
I will check again for connector/wiring status.

I checked fan and AC relays, powered them, all good, same with the radiator/AC fans, powered them up directly from battery, all fine.
Noticed when opened their connectors there was some greasy liquid inside..is that some corrosion prevention compound or just dirt that needs to be removed immediately?

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
if you have access to obd diagnostics ( torque for example ) you can monitor the engine temp in real time
the engine coolant fan should kick in around 95 degrees C

·
Registered
12 Posts
@cosmicma ok mate, will have a look, I actually found some honda diagnosis system, will see if I can make that work in my pc. I'll get back with updates or hopefully with the issue sorted and explain the steps I followed.

Thanks for info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts