2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought my first car today, an 08 civic SE from auction, all is well apart from the fact that the key fobs will not remotely lock or unlock the car. when using the key in the door all doors lock and the doors lock using the interior switch. My initial thought is the batteries but i think it seems unlikely that both would be dead.

thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
They will be if they've been sitting around for a long time.

But, to be certain, change the battery on one first to check it works. (99% sure it'll be the fob batteries)

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Batteries are a cheap fix and will at least allow you to test the fobs.

Do the fobs light up when pressed?.

Oh and welcome to :civinfo:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive just tested 2 new batteries in both keys, it is still not working, there are no lights flashing on the keys, thanks

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
If you replace the keyfob batteries I think, they need to be reprogrammed with the car?

ignition on, wait a second and press the lock button. then turn the igniton off. repeat 5 times untill the central locking works. then press the lock button on your other fob and they should both be coded in.
Or to a dealer who should be able to program them fairly quickly but you'll probably have to pay.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Never had an issue changing batteries in my fobs, tho they weren't completely kaput.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've sorted it, The original batteries where both in upside down for some reason, so i just replaced them in the same position, just thought id flip them to make sure and it worked, I don't know why someone has had the batteries in the wrong way round tho haha

cheers

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
What a result, good job you checked :)

So both fobs work now? - no need to re-code them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts