2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got a bargain brand newish Alloy with a Michelin tyre, albeit with some cracking in the tyre for £40 = Outstanding. Not so outstanding is that it does not fit in the space provided in the boot? Is the space saver you get really that difference in size? Now I'm lugging a full size alloy about in my boot :mad: I

If anyone has a spare space saver and would like to swap I'd be up for it.

Ta! Neil.

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
the space saver is narrower than the std wheel/tyre so will drop down below the boot floor, as you've found out a normal wheel doesn't.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would drop below the floor, wheel is just too big which I don't get....

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
Very odd, the circumference should be the same.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kremmen, Nope, won't fit in the space provided. The space is deep enough but will not take the circumference of the wheel?????

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I have the 8G so am unfamiliar with the sizing of the 9G floor space. But if it is deep enough, would letting some air out of the tyre allow it to fit and then just keep a 12v air compressor in the boot for if you need it?

Or is it the alloy itself that's too large before you account for the tyre on it?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The alloy appears miles too big for the spare wheel cavity... I'll take a picture later to demonstrate.

Reactions: shogran

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
If you remind me, I'll take the cloth tape measure out in the morning and measure the circumference of my space saver in my 9G lower boot.

Reactions: nturnb

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I used to leave a full sized spare sitting loose in my other car. Then I put the space saver back in as it just got too silly with the slanted boot floor....

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
The new Honda Jazz and Crosstar have no facility to house any spare. That area is now hybrid battery pack.

Given that I've never needed any spare since at least 2001 with my last Xantia I'll happily gamble when I get a Jazz.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've never changed a tyre because of a puncture in 20 years of driving and probably 150k+ miles.

Have had slow punctures that have needed air then a drive to a garage.

Doesn't mean something like a motorway blow out won't happen as I've seen plenty of those. But then again I'm not privy to how those blowouts have happened, possibly damaged or budget tyres.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
A full size wheel will never fit in the underfloor space on a Mk 9 Civic. I bought the space saver for that reason. but had to try one of my standard 17 wheels, and it will not ever go in ---unless you take a club hammer to the sloping bit , or take the tyre off. When you buy the Honda spacesaver that is why they give you a net to secure the wheel you have just changed to the boot floor.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I've never changed a tyre because of a puncture in 20 years of driving and probably 150k+ miles.

Doesn't mean something like a motorway blow out won't happen as I've seen plenty of those. But then again I'm not privy to how those blowouts have happened, possibly damaged or budget tyres.
On my previous Jazz I had a full size spare which I bought on ebay as soon as I bought the car. Within the first six weeks of ownership I caught a kerb while getting out of the way of an emegency vehicle, and ripped a hole in the side wall . Luckily the spare got me going again in 20 minutes, obviously the gunge wouldn't have worked. That was 8 years ago, never used the spare again , and touch wood, never used my civic spacesaver in 5 years.
I think it's called sodz law-- you'll never need it 'til you need it !

·
Registered
230 Posts
On my previous Jazz I had a full size spare which I bought on ebay as soon as I bought the car. Within the first six weeks of ownership I caught a kerb while getting out of the way of an emegency vehicle, and ripped a hole in the side wall . Luckily the spare got me going again in 20 minutes, obviously the gunge wouldn't have worked. That was 8 years ago, never used the spare again , and touch wood, never used my civic spacesaver in 5 years.
I think it's called sodz law-- you'll never need it 'til you need it !
used mine last night

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
i have 2 spare alloys ready to fit on car but only carry space saver normally
needed it few weeks back after taking sidewall out on a gravel farm/forestry road in not so bonny scotland

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
Can't in the new Jazz, no space.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great idea but sadly it dont fit as you found.

Im toying with bagging a space saver, i have a tin of gunk, a compressor and a note from honda saying good luck In the type R!:D but the space savers aint 19s so of minor use.

Having it in use to nearest place, no thanks :) aa can take me.

Im covered but it still feels risky!

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
536 Posts

Well that's just unfair, I've had a total of 4 times where I Had to use the spare! I've been driving 12 years so that's roughly once every 3 years 😂

1 - 20 of 29 Posts