2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm back. Just picked up an FN2 type R this week in Milano Red, 45K miles. The dealer was good enough to re-spray the front so its in very good condition.

Needs a few bits sorting though.
Car audio - in progess
Tyres - Nankang tyres (I mean why?!:frown2:) thanks to the previous owner. They will be getting turned into a tree swing for the kids soon. The fronts are good but perished. So 4 x new Bridgestones or maybe Toyos I think.

Also needs FRS, although the stock handling on this one isn't quite as understeery as the 10 plate I had previously.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the north east for FRS. I did think revolution at Gateshead but not sure if anyone has used them. I drove down to TDI north last time and they did a cracking job, but when I rang recently they quoted £350 for FRS on stock springs, so they seem to have gone up a bit!

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Another voted here for the Leyland lads but they ain't in da norf east.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Grinspeed is £177 for an FN2 and well worth it but obviously a bit of a trek.

Previous owner also put Nankangs on mine, were brand new and lasted a week before I ripped them off for eagle F1s.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think Grinspeed will be getting my money this time around for FRS.

As for tyres, arrhhhh can't decide!!!

Bridgestones - are okay but have super hard side walls and the FN2 suspension is bone breaking as it is. I was thinking of something softer as I won't be getting eibachs on when it goes in for FRS.

Toyo T1Rs - some peeps on here say they are too soft so impact the handling

Eagle F1 are about £20 a corner more than the above at the mo

Uniroyal Rainsports - These look like a good option though, anyone know how they fair on an FN2, do they wear quick, soft sidewalls like the Toyos?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
How about Dunlop Sportmaxx? Some say they wear a bit quick tho, but are a good price and quiet (according to stats).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had toyo t1r on a mx5, very good grip all round but they never lasted a year, I was under the impression that they worked better on light cars.

I will be putting eagle f1's on when time comes, there is a new one now the f1 as3, but the as2 (most people have these) is proven.

A friends 400hp audi. Sticks like **** with pilot sport 3 tyres and made a comment that he thought the wet grip was better over the F1's

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Do not go to Revolution, just don't. I travelled to Grinspeed to get the work rectified. Tyres, one answer, Goodyear F1.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Guys,

Tyres ordered. I went for the Eagle F1s but they are AS3s (I hope they are as good!)

I was all ready to book into Grinspeed but fate has struck and its going to have to wait until later in June. My lovely new FN2 which was sold with a recent full MOT seemed to have a drink problem. Taking it easy no VTEC I was struggling to hit 22mpg. On vtec 17mpg. After a quick check my front caliper is binding. Garage assures me it has mysterious gone faulty in the 80 miles I've done post MOT (hmm, yeah ok). So now I have to wait until mid June until they can get a new caliper from Honda. In the mean time I have to drive this horrible Kia Venga :frown2:

Still on the plus side whilst its off the road on my drive I can do all the bits and bobs it needs. So far its had;
Car audio install + sound deadened
Rear camera in and now working
New mats
Polished up the horribly scratched plastic speedo cover - this has come up good as new
Tyres ordered

Still to do..
Alloys refurbed
FRS
Adjust clutch
New gearbox oil - might ask Grinspeed to do this same time as FRS.
Stone chips, clay, polish

·
Registered
48 Posts
How did you polish the speedo plastic? Will you give a long term review of the tyres after the honeymoon period has finished. I'm sure that a caliper binding builds up for hundreds of miles and a mot will of picked up the imbalance. i take a trip to the shops style drive then touch each caliper probably once a month. (Takes 20seconds)

I spent quite some time reading about gearbox oil. Came to the conclusion that Honda mtf3 is the best bet

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you polish the speedo plastic? Will you give a long term review of the tyres after the honeymoon period has finished. I'm sure that a caliper binding builds up for hundreds of miles and a mot will of picked up the imbalance. i take a trip to the shops style drive then touch each caliper probably once a month. (Takes 20seconds)

I spent quite some time reading about gearbox oil. Came to the conclusion that Honda mtf3 is the best bet
Your supposed to use plastic polish but I just used some meguiars fine cutting compound I had in the garage and elbow grease:wink3:

Will review the tyres once I have 6 months miles on them no probs

And yes I'm farily sure they fudged the MOT!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts