2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a solid braided clutch line as a replacement for the OEM rubber hose on the FN2? Does it make a big difference even for the OEM clutch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
We supply the clutch bypass hoses if you're after one. Can be made any colour you like.
Everyone who's fitted it says the pedal feel has improved.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
Has anyone fitted a solid braided clutch line as a replacement for the OEM rubber hose on the FN2? Does it make a big difference even for the OEM clutch?

Thanks
Will be looking at fitting one beginning of October whilst TDi have it to see if it improves clutch feel. Found in 8th gen civics with the dampers the clutch is a little numb.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, keep us updated. Where are you planning to get your line from?

Will be looking at fitting one beginning of October whilst TDi have it to see if it improves clutch feel. Found in 8th gen civics with the dampers the clutch is a little numb.

·
Administrator
18,010 Posts
How light/high would an OEM clutch be with a damper bypass?!?!

It should provide more feel to the clutch tho.

·
4,277 Posts
Will be TDi, at first I was against getting one but now the clutch is working as it should, it can be lightened more and raised without causing issues, previously it was light as a feather and the bite was right at the top.

Just want more direct feel as I find the damper masks the engagement point a lot.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have this made in the FN2 of my brother (I am his mechanic). I deleted the clutch damper and made my own custom braided sleeve line for the clutch.

Deleting the damper makes feel the clutch slightly better, it's a bit more direct. It depends on what you prefer, as there is people who will prefer it with the damper. I personally prefer it to feel more direct, and solid. More pointed towards racing applications where you have to down shifting agressively, matching the engine revolutions with the mainshaft of the gearbox.

We have it made along with an Ogura Racing clutch, and as these racing cluthces are really afressive, all together is a little crazy.
But if you delete only the damper, it feels slightly better.

The damper is just to make the car feel more quiet when you release the clutch wrongly after shifting.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
How light/high would an OEM clutch be with a damper bypass?!?!

It should provide more feel to the clutch tho.

Oh, if the clutch stays OEM, the tact feels nearly the same as with the damper.

Only deleting the damper and/or adding hard braided line, changes just what I pointed above: it makes dissapear the "false" tact which the clutch has sometimes when shifting, etc.
It makes it to feel a little bit more direct :smile3:

The clutch tact (softer or harder) changes with the clutch itself, if you change it.

·
4,277 Posts
The problem I have, especially with work boots is that in MK8 petrol civics there is no feel for the engagement at all.

The derv, whilst similar was fine on OEM.

The FN2's is quite light so when I lift off the clutch it's just numb. I've driven other FN2s and they were terrible due to EOL clutch and shot fluid. Mine's lovely now but still requires a few miles of driving to get the muscle memory back of the bite as you can't feel it until it's already engaged.

Hoping a line will solve it but as it's driving so well now I don't want to rock the boat xD

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
So is removing the damper a good idea? Or just worth replacing the line with a braided one and giving it a bleed. Mine certainly doesn't feel light and bites nearer the floor.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I remove the clutch line damper in track cars here, this include FN2. Our family FN2 has it removed as well and replaced with a custom braided line, so no damper. No issues, it just feels perfect.

If your clutch bites near the floor at pedal height, maybe your clutch is somehow really worn.

·
Administrator
18,010 Posts
Removing the clutch damper on an FN2 must make the clutch REALLY light, it's typically removed on the derv Civic's that have uprated/heavy clutches/

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Removing the clutch damper on an FN2 must make the clutch REALLY light, it's typically removed on the derv Civic's that have uprated/heavy clutches/
Mines not light at all! Definitely getting it in for a bleed. Will keep the delay valve though I think.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Yes, it makes slightly lighter, but it is not really notorious to the pedal.
Of course I make this modification only in cars with uprated clutches. But not to get a lighter pedal, but to get a quicker response of the fluid through the clutch line. And it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts