2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out for a spirited drive and a play with a tuned 306 GTI. All was going well until I had to slow down...there was next to nothing on the pedal, the car wasn't slowing down at all, i had to grab the handbrake to slow down.

I want to sort the brakes out, at the moment I suspect the cheapest possible pads are being used as the dealer "fitted new pads".

Now should i just get a disc/pads/line upgrade, or buy a BBK ?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Welcome to the standard ctr brakes.
I found the same when I first started to push mine, as to what you should go for it all depends on you bugdet, BBK's are mega bucks but probably worth it if your going for a lot of power and driving the car hard.
Most people seem happy to just upgrade the lines discs and pads though.
I had do-luck lines fitted 2 weeks ago, still on standard pads and discs and I have to say the results are amazing such a small change and relativly cheap too (under £200 inc fitting) makes you wonder why Honda didn't include it. The brakes have a lot less fade and the pedal actually feels like its working all the way to the floor. I will be doing the pads and discs but only when they need doing, the lines have made enough of a difference for me to stick with OEM untill they are worn.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Like said upgrade lines, disks, pads or go for the stoptech touring kit or BBK. If your just looking at sprinted drives and no track work but want it to stop well the touring kit would be worth it then just buy some rear braided lines and uprated pads.

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
i find brakes a very personal thing, some of us brake much harder and later than others. i woul nd start with lines and motul or castrol fluid see how that works for you, if youre still not happy ferodo, cosworth or bluestuff pads, if your still not happy you could go with ebc gd discs and if that wont do it bbk. i will be suprised if bbk will be required my set up is stopping a big fat diesel with 200+bhp

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I would advise, first thing to change is the brake pads. Get some Ferodo DS2500's or cosworth streetmaster's. Even without changing lines/fluid difference with standard pads will be quite noticeable. If you can, do lines, pads, discs and good fluid at the same time.

If your interested in a BBK, dont get a stoptech touring kit (its not a BBK anyway). Not worth it IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The current pads will need replacing, i imagine they are the cheapest pads known to man as the dealer would of just bought the cheapest and fitted them to be able to say " We fitted new pads". Even if they have the mechanical consistency of wheatabix.

I see Ferodo pads recommended everywhere so i may give them a go, is there any discs that are recommended ? And i will probably try HEL brake lines, i always ran them on my bikes.

What BBK's are worth looking at ? I see K-sport kits are cheap, but are they any good ?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Disks go for stoptech slotted or Dixcel slotted. The K sports do look good, I've gone for the bbk stoptech's as looking to do some trackdays this year. That's if the weather ever clears up :)

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
If your interested in a BBK, dont get a stoptech touring kit (its not a BBK anyway). Not worth it IMO.
Not worth it - one of the best bits of kit I've bought! Don't know anyone who's had them say a bad word about them either. You pays your money and takes your choice. :D:D:D

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Whats the difference in the two kits ? Tbh im looking at the K-sports or possible some D2's.
TBH I've heard differing rumors about quality of K-sport / D2 brakes, some good, some not so. As I wanted something to go on track with, I wanted a known reliable product so I opted for Stoptech as no one had a bad word to say about them.

If you go for K-sport or D2 you will probably be quite happy with them, last year at TDI North's rolling road day a lad with an Evo had D2 brakes and he was more than pleased with them.

Its all a matter of how much you want to spend. TBH if your not tracking the car try replacement discs with better pads and braided lines. You'll be surprised at the difference that can make.:)

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Stoptech, EBC, Powerslot to name a few.

If I was you I would see if someone near you has some upgraded brakes and see if they will give you a drive. That way you can judge for yourself how much of an improvement it is.:)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
What discs should i be looking at, stoptech ?
Im looking at this at the moment.
Theres alot of manufacturers that make them.

Tarox do front vented discs
DBA street series and 4000 series
I think Brembo may do some.
Stoptech/powerslot grooved discs
EBC

Im not sure about the prices for each mind

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.