2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my front off side brake caliper is sticking and the wheel is burning hot to touch. I have dis-assembled, cleaned, re greased slider pin, refitted pads and checked the disc for any warpage.

Wheel is still burning hot and to save the wheel bearing I am going to replace both front calipers (may as well do the pair)

So my question is do I just go for honda calipers from Cox at £120 each or do I get any others? For example pagid from ECP @ £90 each with an extra £30 off each with a code making them £120 the pair or any alternatives?

Thanks in advance folks

Fergy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Silly question but did you check that the pads moved freely in the carrier and did you check the piston movement?

You maybe better off trying to source refurbished callipers from a local motorfactors as the core return postage costs can addup and eat into the deposit.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silly question but did you check that the pads moved freely in the carrier and did you check the piston movement?

You maybe better off trying to source refurbished callipers from a local motorfactors as the core return postage costs can addup and eat into the deposit.
Hey. Yes I checked the pads and they move freely in the carrier. I replaced discs and pads around 9 months ago and fitted new anti rattle shims too so all nice and new. The piston seemed fine when I replaced the pads but what tests can be done to check it?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Did the piston retract smoothly and did not require a lot of force to get it back in?

Did you check what happens when you use the brakes when that corner/front end is off the ground? If it binds after braking I mean.

There isn't much more you can do really.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't the smoothest I don't think and wasn't the easiest to re tract. Not hard but just a bit of force needed. Going to order new calipers I think. Need to be safe

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,851 Posts
There is no need to replace calipers in pairs.

I would certainly second the suggestion to use Bigg Red for refurbishment. I've used them a lot over the last ten years.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no need to replace calipers in pairs.

I would certainly second the suggestion to use Bigg Red for refurbishment. I've used them a lot over the last ten years.
Trouble is the wife uses the car daily with the wee one so can't have it off the road for any time. Thanks for the post though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts