2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, this is my first proper post so please bear with me! Hope this of use to anyone thinking of doing this.

The aim was to have red callipers with the embossed 'type R' bit in black. The plan was to do a base coat of black and then mask the writing for the top red coat. That didn't go to plan; so here's what happened!

***BEWARE*** to do all four calipers it took me the best part of 9 hours taking my time.

Firstly, I gathered all my tools.

Wire wool, meths, rag and autosol for cleaning.
Newspaper and masking tape for masking.
The paint was Halfords red caliper paint and I used black BBQ paint from Homebase.

First step is to jack the car up on axle stands and remove the wheels.

I turned the wheel to expose the calliper that I was working on.

Then go at it with the wire wool and meths! I like to wet sand as it reduces the chance of breathing the dust and makes a bit of an abrasive slurry to assist you. The wire wool is that fine kind you use for polishing copper pipe when you are doing a bit of plumbing. I also used a course one that you would use for washing up. It did come apparent that a wire brush would speed things up.

It took at least an hour per calliper. It's important to get it as clean as possible for a better finish and longer lasting coat.

One hour and a change of gloves later!

I used a metal polish (Autosol: this is great for the chrome exhaust trims too) just to get into the pits of the metal, but it is not essential.

After a final clean with the meths, mask it up.

I did three coats of black in 10 minute intervals until all coated.

Leave to dry. In the meantime I moved onto the next calliper for cleaning.

Here is where it went a bit pear shaped. I masked the embossed writing and did three final coats of red. When i peeled off the tape, the black came with it.

What I did in the end was to spray the whole thing red and carefully wipe off the paint from the writing using a kitchen towel folded up a number of times so it is all stiff. Then I sprayed the kitchen towel brush and dabbed the black paint onto the writing. Doing countless coats.

The end result:

After a bit of drying time, remove the masking and you are good to go!

You get the knack of it in the end and become more efficient each time you move on. The left front calliper came out better.

BOSH!

I hope this helps a few people. It is a lot of work but is well worth it.

Any questions are welcome and good luck!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Pics work if you click on them but you've embedded the album page rather than a direct image link. I've reported your post so hopefully a mod can help get it sorted.

Oh and just a tip from my own experience, if you use a wire brush drill attachment, it takes significantly less time!

Good result, looks like that's going to last ages :D

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Great little guide, cheers. I'll be hand brushing mine in yellow using some Foliatec soon. Luckily I've got a drill attachment to help with the cleaning process! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Reactions: WreviloX

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
They look great. Glossy would look mint. Any pics?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Finally got around to doing them yesterday, didn't come up badly at all!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Redone the calipers with a high temp lacquer finish in December.

Think I'm going to have to redo them for the summer as there are a few stone chips showing up :s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts