2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering how to check the brake disc wear?
is there a specific measurment to check them?
I checked with fingers, and by feel there is a 2-3 mm ``shoulder`` on the discs.
No dislocoration, seems normal.
Pads for sure needs to be replaced, making squeeking noise when braking from time to time.
What brand would you suggest for pads? Ferodo, TRW, Blueprint, ABS, PAggio, Brembo.

greetings,
mark

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Hi Markin,

Do you mean the "shoulder" stands 2-3mm out from the disc surface (towards you as you look face on) - or is it a 2-3mm wide ring around the outside edge?

There is a minimum disc thickness - not sure offhand what it is but if your discs are 2-3mm less thick than they started (on both sides = 4-6mm) then my guess is they are overdue for replacing for sure. If however you mean there is a band around the outside edge of the disc that is 2-3mm wide then this is simply where the pads do not contact and is normal - only the thickness of the disc matters here.

hth :smile3:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey MrHicks,

thanks. What I mean is if I face the wheel / brake disc, the edge of the brake disc is facing me with a 2-3 mm deep edge.
How experts inspect brake discs in the garage for example?

greetings,

·
Registered
340 Posts
They use a micrometer to determine the wear rate the minimum thickness for the rears are about 10mm that when they needed replacing

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
The front discs on the mk9 are 25 mm new. Minimum is 23 mm. It's stamped on the disc itself.
If you look carefully you should be able to see the markings through the spokes of the wheel. Although you will need to remove the wheel to get a micrometer on the disc.

Measure at 4 places (every quarter). The measurements should be greater than 23 mm and not more than 0.1 mm difference between any of the measurements. If there is more than 0.1 mm difference the disc is warped and needs replacing. Or refacing but that send to cost more than replacing the disc.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts