2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2 month old Civic Si 5 droor and am encountering occasional (now 4) events when backing the car out of the driveway that the brakes seem to have no power - to the point where even full weight on the brakes doesn't stop the car. The pedal "resists" going very far - unlike what you might expect with air in the lines when there is no power but the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Rapid pumping appears to get things back (could be coincidence) and there is a distinct change in the pedal movement as it suddenly engages and sinks further down and normal braking action starts. Like the power just suddenly comes on. I was guessing it is a vacuum assist problem or a seizing brake actuator? But just guessing.

Of course I took the car in a few weeks ago to the dealer and they ran around in the car (even though I said it was a cold start problem) and pronounced the brakes are "fine".:mad:

This morning my wife could not stop the car (she forgot the handbrake) and just backed across the street right to the opposite curb - thankfully nothing was in the way!:eek:

So, I am about to take the car in again but am of course expecting the problem to not reappear in normal use...

Anybody heard of this problem or have any insights?:confused:

Many thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
A little bit like there is no vacuum assistance? Like when you try to use the brakes when the engine is off and you have pumped them a few times?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, could be like that... then the action is suddenly there... what makes it less than sure is that the action is so weak as though nearly no braking is available - not just weak assist.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think it is electronic assistance. It takes time to be used to. I can say that still it is more clever than should be for my understanding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi, if it is electronic assist it is certainly not working normally. Seriously, you can't stop the car rolling for the first 10 meters or more until it finally kicks in... could run over someone or into something in that distance so I don't think it is something to get used to? Or did I misunderstand?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi, if it is electronic assist it is certainly not working normally. Seriously, you can't stop the car rolling for the first 10 meters or more until it finally kicks in... could run over someone or into something in that distance so I don't think it is something to get used to? Or did I misunderstand?
better make a test drive with Honda. They tell you is it normal or something is wrong.
/as far as I could understand on my car, el.assist works on high speed, rapid stop, when you press pedal sharply. If you press it slowly, assistance will be also minimum and stoping will be also slow.
(sorry for possible bad engl)

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
This sounds extremely dangerous, is it worth getting a second opinion from the another dealer?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
This sounds extremely dangerous, is it worth getting a second opinion from the another dealer?
Seconded there............ sounds most dangerous to me........

Tom

Reactions: OzSi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again, thanks for the words of caution and insight into the electronic assist... so far, it sounds like an unusual thing to have happen so it may be hard to nail down. Prego, the problem only happens sometimes and only when the car is "cold" and only initially (the first time the brakes are applied) - braking afterwards appears completely normal. This is why it is hard to demonstrate to the dealer and they think it is fine when testing the car. I will leave it with them overnight and see if they can possibly replicate.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I wonder could your pads be glazed? And therefore need to be warmed a bit before the grip kicks in?

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion though I don't think so - we have not done much more than 1200 km of fairly light footed driving - and the sudden kicking in of the "assist" felt through the pedal pressure would suggest a different problem.

Cheers

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Hmmm, you are right I think, it was just a thought, that that could be why thepads were kicking in so suddenly..... that or an air bubble in your brake lines?, Hydroscopic intake in your brake fluid is unlikely as Australia is very frickin hot.... or so I've heard.... :D

ATB,
Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Tom, It's mid-Winter in Sydney and lows of 8-10 C these evenings. I think something in the lines has to be plausible... or the master cylinder freezing up... as I don't see any other similar complaints looks to be a freak...

Cheers

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Not something I've heard on here as of yet, so yes sounds like an "odd one out" moment.

Hope it does get sorted, and I would be wary of driving it at all until the problem is fixed, doesn't sound pleasant either, even if it is meant to be that way..........

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

Hi,

Well, I think we may have solved it... after again not revealing itself to the dealer, the folks at Honda were advised by technical department at HQ to replace the vacuum assist hose which contains a type of valve in it that apparently might stick when cold. It sounded like this had been discovered previously though apparently from the response here it is uncommon...

So far we have not had the problem recur but will come back here if it does!

Cheers:popcorn2:

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Brilliant mate :D Glad its back safe and sound :)

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts