2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Sander and i am from the Netherlands and i just bought myself last week a Honda Civic FK 1.8 from 2006 with 100.000km (62137 miles)

After 2 days i got a wierd message: (!) on the display. It only pops up when i start the car. It appears 1 second and then it's gone.

In the beginning it was occasionally, and later on it happend everytime i start the car.

I went to the dealer and the read it and got the codes: ABS malfunction and Low Battery voltage.

They cleared the codes and told me if the message came back they had to read it again and could tell me wich of the 2 the problem was.

Then when i wanted to drive home the car immediatly gave the (!) code again.

They ran another diagnose and told me the battery was bad because when they started the car de battery voltage went down to 7 Volt witch would give the fault code ABS.

Then i drove home, and after a couple of starts the car would give the (!) code together with the ABS and VSA light.

Later that night and the next day, no fault codes at al !

Today i bought a new battery and the second time i started the car the (!) simbole came up as usuall pops up for 1 second and then it's gone.

I have googled a long time and found this site, hopefully anybody can help me.

There are some more things:
- The old battery was replased just 2,5 years ago.
- With the old battery the ran stationair 800rpm, and then all of the sudden it ran 500rpm and then 800rpm and then 900rpm etc.
- With the new battery it runs nice constant 800rpm.
- I tried the ABS by braking hard on a wet road and it works perfectly. Everything works fine with the whole car.

I also tried: how guides only read clear diagnostic error, the topic on this site where you need to shortcut in the fusebox and there were no fault codes.

Excuse my poor English.

Greets Sander from Holland

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
it does sound like a low voltage problem ( bad battery ) but other things can cause voltage problems

check the battery terminals are tight
check the earth straps from the battery to the bodywork and chassis for corrosion where they bolt to the bodywork / chassis and engine
make sure the contact area of the earth straps / mounting point are clean and corrosion free and the straps themselves are in good order

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

When i mounted the new battery i checked the earth strap from battery to chassis and i mounted a washer with teeth what wil damage the paint in that area for better ground. Unfortunatly it didn't help.

I will try to make a better ground with a startercable to see what happens.

Or maybe there is a problem with the starter and that will pull the voltage down to much. The starter also hang this morning and made a lot of noise for a second. Bendix problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can i safely do a Cel / Mil Code check by jumping pins 4 and 9 on the OBD port like othor Honda's ?

I found a site where the have done this on the Honda CRZ and Honda RSX.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Can i safely do a Cel / Mil Code check by jumping pins 4 and 9 on the OBD port like othor Honda's ?

I found a site where the have done this on the Honda CRZ and Honda RSX.
to be honest i don't know but a engine management diagnostic dongle costs very little

ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Car Bluetooth Scanner Android Auto Scan Diagnostic Tool Switch | eBay

as long as you have an android phone / tablet with bluetooth your good to go but this will only do engine management it will not do ABS or Airbag faults you would need to do some research and buy the appropriate tool, there are many and prices vary

when the warning lights appear is it before you try to start the car ( ignition on but not pressed the start button ) or after you press the start button ?

if no faults are showing before you press the start button i would suggest something is still dragging the voltage down when you press the start button to start the engine

you have checked the earth strap from the battery to the chassis but have you check the one that goes from the chassis to the engine block ?

there should be one under the battery and one at the opposite side of the engine to the left of the oil filler cap underneath the brake / clutch fluid reservoir

also check the starter motor is secure / tight and the wires running to it are tight

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the info.

Elm donge works also for the ABS ?

The 2 earth straps i didn't try. Thanks for the tip!

But i made my own extra earth strap from the negative of the battery to the engine. I got the same mallfunction message.

The fault is after i push the starter button. When i put the ignition in 2 al the lights work fine, go on and of.

Also after the fault message when i brake real hard the ABS works perfectly and also the VSA tracktioncontrol when i accelerate hard and when i corner fast.

Indeed there must be a problem with the voltage i think, maybey the starter ?

I also noticed a leak in the trunk. All my stuff was wet. Thought of a mass problem ?

Brought the car back to the garage today where i bought the car. I bought the car whitout warranty because the car worked perfectly when i test drove her and it is a Honda.

I drive Honda for all my life cars and motorbikes. Unfortunatly i made a big mistake with this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car back from the seller. After the second time i started the car it had the same malfuntion.

I think they reset the fault codes. After that it starts a couple of times normal, and then there is the fault message again.

If you stop the car and emediatly start the car again there is no fault message.

Only if the car does not run for a while there is a fault message when starting the car.

The fault message is on and off for one second. All the brake lights are on and of for one second and the car and brake system works perfect.

Is there nobody who ever had the same problem ?

Big thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts