2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Learner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Up til last night my brakes were fine.
It rained where the car was parked so I got the usual clunk when the handbrake released. No problems until I got further down the road and the pedal had to be pushed all the way down to get them to grip. I assumed something was on the discs do a slow drive home ensued.

This morning it was a touch better so I drive round trying to get rid of what was on the discs and it appeared to work. I checked the fluid level and it's still up to MAX, but it seems a little murky.

I took the lady to work an all seemed good until the journey home, when every time I push the stop pedal I get the Low Brake Fluid symbol and a ding. While it was amusing to start with, it's now annoying.
And yes, it's still full.

Ideas chaps ?

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Either your fluid is low because your pads are at minimum thickness. With new pads the fluid will be pushed back up the reservoir. Or you have a leak.

Either option requires urgent action.

·
Learner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely no leak. I'll look at the pads. Thanks.

·
Learner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Discs are ok, it does it as soon as I start her now. Any way I can check the sensor ?

·
Learner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, both appear ok.
New symptom, changing first to second ! Odd.

·
Learner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That explains it then. I was looking in the clutch bottle. ****.
Now, where did it all go ?
Could there have been a massive air block in there all this time that suddenly cleared as the brakes feel soooo much better !!!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
When was your last brake fluid change - brake fluid degrades with time :(

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Degrades but not decrease, other than due to pad wear.
If the pads are fine as the OP said above and the fluid level has gone down - IMO I'd be looking for a leak somewhere. As you say, the fluid absorbs moisture over time and degrades in effectiveness... but doesn't actually disappear!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
HUH!! :confused: where did the OP say the fluid has dropped - in his first post it is still at MAX.

Also heavy braking can boil the fluid which will cause problems (air bubbles)

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
If the pads are fine as the OP said above and the fluid level has gone down - IMO I'd be looking for a leak somewhere. As you say, the fluid absorbs moisture over time and degrades in effectiveness... but doesn't actually disappear!
The reason brake fluid is changed is that it absorbs moisture, under heavy & prolonged braking the fluid will heat up enough to vaporise any moisture in the fluid, your brake pedal will go straight to the floor, and you will effectively have no brakes, always change it at the recommended interval

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Hi,
No problems until I got further down the road and the pedal had to be pushed all the way down to get them to grip.

I took the lady to work an all seemed good until the journey home, when every time I push the stop pedal I get the Low Brake Fluid symbol and a ding. While it was amusing to start with, it's now annoying.
And yes, it's still full.
That explains it then. I was looking in the clutch bottle. ****.
Now, where did it all go ?
HUH!! :confused: where did the OP say the fluid has dropped - in his first post it is still at MAX.
He was reading the clutch reservoir level. The car warns of low brake fluid level.

I agree this thread is a little hard to follow :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Learner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to clarify....

Yes, this donut was looking at the wrong reservoir but has now learnt his stupidity. It has been topped up and will be monitored as recommended.

Brake pads, discs, fluid were all changed 6-8 months ago, bled etc all correctly. System will be re bled tomorrow.

As far as leaks go, I have never seen any evidence so it must be very slow indeed.

All the symptoms I've had we're strange. Gear changing, standing still, disappearing for a while, then all start again. Hardly any brakes, then no problems, all confusing me.

Now, since the top up, the brake pedal has the most resistance it has ever had in the year I've had the car. It feels great.

As for heavy braking......run that by me again, I do that a lot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.