2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I need to top up my brake fluid on my CTR. On the cap it say to use DOT 3 / 4. Im confused which one shall I use?
Any help would be great.
Get your garage to sort this one out, i've been reading a bit concerning brake fluids when looking for improving my brakes and if i recall correctly, its not ok to start mixing different dot fluids.
I was also told that honda runs dot 5.1 as standard in their cars but this is maybe mandatory in belgium.
But to put your mind at ease, call your garage or go see them, i'm sure they'll be more then willing to help you on this one.
May i ask why you need to top up the brake fluid? You sure you dont have a leak or anything because it seems strange for such a young car.
Are you hard on the brakes?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Get your garage to sort this one out, i've been reading a bit concerning brake fluids when looking for improving my brakes and if i recall correctly, its not ok to start mixing different dot fluids.
I was also told that honda runs dot 5.1 as standard in their cars but this is maybe mandatory in belgium.
But to put your mind at ease, call your garage or go see them, i'm sure they'll be more then willing to help you on this one.
May i ask why you need to top up the brake fluid? You sure you dont have a leak or anything because it seems strange for such a young car.
Are you hard on the brakes?
I believe it's 4.1 as standard here in the UK... but I'll have to check the bottle I bought to see.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
DOT-3/4/5.1 they are hydroscopic and you can mix them together,the only difference is the boiling point .

Do not use DOT 5 [racing silicon fluid,no hydroscopic] unless you dont wash first the hole brake line circuit.

one of the best brake fluids if you want to upgrade the OEM is MOTUL RBF 600 and 660.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Found this on the wiki:

"Most automotive professionals agree that glycol based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1-2 years.

Brake fluid is not considered a "top up" fluid. If it is low, there is usually a problem. Brake fluid level in the master cylinder will drop as the linings (pads or shoes) wear and the calipers or wheel cylinders extend further to compensate. This added fluid may need to be removed when renewing pads or shoes.

As a general rule, brake fluids with different DOT ratings should not be mixed, although all DOT fluid is compatible, (this is part of the DOT specification). This is because it will dilute and reduce the properties of the higher specification DOT fluid, or in the case of mixing of glycol with silicone fluid may cause corrosion due to trapped moisture."

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that lads. I don't seem to have a problem or any leaks to my knowledge but I did suffer from brake fade last night after bombing around then I looked under the hood and saw my brake fluid was just above the min mark. So I presume that this might be the problem or I broke to late and suffered the worst scare of my life. Anyway thanks for the replies lads.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
DOT-3/4/5.1 they are hydroscopic and you can mix them together,the only difference is the boiling point .

Do not use DOT 5 [racing silicon fluid,no hydroscopic] unless you dont wash first the hole brake line circuit.

one of the best brake fluids if you want to upgrade the OEM is MOTUL RBF 600 and 660.
Bang on.

You would be hard pushed to find a dot3 three these days as dot4 has really taken over from it, dot 5.1 is often considered more of a longlife brake fluid over a standard dot4. Then you get into super dot4 and these are the high wet boiling point brake fluids such as the Motul listed above.

Dot5 is only really used by museums and the us military as essentially its crap.

If you want to go crazy you can get the Castrol SRF, this is what all formula 1 cars use.

Cheers

Guy

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
check your pads and disks as the level will drop as they get worn

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Discs are good so are the pads. Can't find any leaks either??? Maybe it came out of the factory like that. Honda being tight and not filling the fluids up to the brim!!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
also when brakes are used heat is transferred to the fluid and it expands at what temp are you measuring the fluid when cold reading will be lower

1 - 11 of 11 Posts