2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Not sure whether this may have been answered before, but couldn't see anything.

I just picked up my new gt on saturday just gone, and still haven't actually had that much time to do much mileage in (only 300miles so far). Had one motor way journey from the dealer and loved every minute in it. I didn't notice any sort of noise, until this morning on the short hop to work.
At first i thought it may be the Moaning noise that I saw people talking about on here, but realised the noise seems to only come when I brake rather than from the clutch. I was just wondering whether this was a fault, or just something that goes away once the car is a bit more worn it. Sorry if the answer is obvious, thought I wuold check with you guys before I phone the dealer.

Cheers in advance!!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Suprised nobody has replied yet :(

I'll give you somm things to check - but what is the noise you hear - does it grind or squeal??

grinding noise - could be a stone - have a look in the how-to section or the wiki for ideas on how to remove. It could also be the brakes bedding in - is your car new??

Squeaking noise - could be the pads are worn or not installed correctly - get to the dealer to check

Welcome by the way :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NoNumpty

I did wonder whether brakes had to bed in etc? Been a long time since i had brand new cars. Its a very subtle noise, and litterally only hear it because I am looking out for it. I think if most people got in the car they wouldn't hear it. How long does it normally take for the brakes to bed in then?

Thanks in advance. And looking forward to proper drive in it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully thats all it is then. Have to call the dealer anyway, think they need to adjust my handbrake slightly, as was parked on a steep hill the other day, and the poor thing groaned and moaned when I got in it (maybe its just telling me to lose weight). very slight roll, and had to pull it really high up to stop the rolling.

Thanks for your help though NoNumpty, really appreciated.

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
Id say bedding in, last new car i had the brakes had to be run in, and doing a heavy press on them they made a noise, think it was due to the coatings being worn off..

I'd keep an eye on it and if it gets worse take it back, its under warranty after all

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Evil Berto.

Will keep an eye on it. If I have to take it back for the handbrake anyway, I will ask them to check

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think you will find that the handbrake groaning is quite normal and indicates that you need to apply the handbrake with more force.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Also remember to always - thats ALWAYS keep it in gear when parked

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PCR. Yeah, I did pull it up higher on the day, which seemed to work. Its only my old man that said I should get it checked, as something about it stretching as it gets older. I just nodded and pretended I had any idea what he was talking about.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts