2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had its second service on Monday at 21,000 miles. Reading through the service sheet, the front pads are 40% worn and the rears 50%. The front pads are a little more worn than expected but I'm more concerned about the rears. I've read online some 8g Civics wearing their rear pads alarmingly quickly but there isn't much about the 9g suffering from this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did Honda do anything?

On the 8g there was some mention of over active VSA and whilst I do enjoy cornering briskly at times, this isn't a regular thing - the front tyres (225/45/r17) are on 4mm and rears 5mm after 21k so its not been thrashed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My car had its second service on Monday at 21,000 miles. Reading through the service sheet, the front pads are 40% worn and the rears 50%. The front pads are a little more worn than expected but I'm more concerned about the rears. I've read online some 8g Civics wearing their rear pads alarmingly quickly but there isn't much about the 9g suffering from this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did Honda do anything?
I just had my 4th service at 28,000km (17,000mi).

My rear brakes were at 2% (LOL) and my fronts are at 60%. I was surprised that the rears wore so much faster than the fronts.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had my 4th service at 28,000km (17,000mi).

My rear brakes were at 2% (LOL) and my fronts are at 60%. I was surprised that the rears wore so much faster than the fronts.

Should I be concerned?
The rotors and pads on the Civic hatch are soft and wear quickly. I understand that this is to comply with European rules regarding brake performance in cold and icy conditions. In Australia, you can replace the OEM rotors with Protec and aftermarket pads. The result is not much brake dust and much longer brake life.

Honda Australia have now take 60% off the parts cost form pads and rotors due to many owner complaints, so an OEM brake job should not be punishingly expensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On my 25000 mile service they said that front pads were 25% worn and rear 95%.

I had to have new rear pads fitted at £100.

The service manager could only say that it must be how I drove when I said that something wasn't right. I argued that the only way my driving could cause it was if I went everywhere with my handbrake on.

I will be using a different dealer for my future servicing.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
On my 25000 mile service they said that front pads were 25% worn and rear 95%.

I had to have new rear pads fitted at £100.

The service manager could only say that it must be how I drove when I said that something wasn't right. I argued that the only way my driving could cause it was if I went everywhere with my handbrake on.

I will be using a different dealer for my future servicing.
Is this coming a problem ? Anyone else had this ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The rotors and pads on the Civic hatch are soft and wear quickly. I understand that this is to comply with European rules regarding brake performance in cold and icy conditions. In Australia, you can replace the OEM rotors with Protec and aftermarket pads. The result is not much brake dust and much longer brake life.

Honda Australia have now take 60% off the parts cost form pads and rotors due to many owner complaints, so an OEM brake job should not be punishingly expensive.
Do you have a link to Protec pads? Or any aftermarket ones?

I have been to many store, all of them are out of stock. There are front ones from Bendix on eBay though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts