2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Civic Tourer
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

had my car in for it's MOT today and thankfully it passed however one of the advisories was for front brake pads & discs with Honda having quoted me £330 for parts and labour.

Does anyone have a video of how to replace these on the 9thGen? I can't seem to find one anywhere and I'd rather have a go at doing these myself.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Tourer.
27 Posts
Hi,

had my car in for it's MOT today and thankfully it passed however one of the advisories was for front brake pads & discs with Honda having quoted me £330 for parts and labour.

Does anyone have a video of how to replace these on the 9thGen? I can't seem to find one anywhere and I'd rather have a go at doing these myself.
The cost of that is absolutely ridiculous!!! That's why many years ago I started buying tools lots of tools. £330 you could do the front and rear and service for that price if you didn't yourself.

Plenty of videos on YouTube and to be fair all the fittings are exactly the same on every civic changing pads and discs unless got electronic hand brake.

Go to halfords buy a socket set car jack axel stands ect caliper rewind tool, Nip over to euro car parts.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
when i'd not had my mk9 for long it had a service at a main dealer - they quoted similar for front discs and pads. said "no thanks" :D

when i looked at it myself the discs were fine (rusty edges, but not actually that worn). I put a set of pads on myself, cost 25 quid. those discs are still fine and i've done another 40k miles on them since then..

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
What you need to do is check the thickness of the disks, there is a minimum thickness for both front & rear & if thicker than the minimum they are fine, assuming no deep scoring etc - I have it written down somewhere but can't currently locate them - hopefully someone else here can chime in with the minimum thicknesses. Of course you need to check the part the pads actually run on & not the outer raised lip - an engineers outside spring caliper is what I use for this (y)

·
Registered
Civic Tourer
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll need to take the wheels off and check the discs, I know it's routine for dealerships to want to changed discs as well as pads so the discs might actually be fine. I'm assuming both pads & discs have been on the car since new and I'm not too aggressive on the brakes so fingers crossed.

Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is for discs?

What a ridiculous price £330 is though!!! If that had been for all 4 corners then I might have agreed to it but no way for just the fronts.

·
Registered
Civic Tourer
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cost of that is absolutely ridiculous!!! That's why many years ago I started buying tools lots of tools. £330 you could do the front and rear and service for that price if you didn't yourself.

Plenty of videos on YouTube and to be fair all the fittings are exactly the same on every civic changing pads and discs unless got electronic hand brake.

Go to halfords buy a socket set car jack axel stands ect caliper rewind tool, Nip over to euro car parts.
I'm just about to buy a caliper rewind set.

Just out of interest, do the civic calipers rewind clockwise or anticlockwise?

·
Registered
Honda Civic Tourer.
27 Posts

Its clockwise buddy.

And make sure you take off the brake reservoir cap and check as you rewind the piston back into the caliper that the pressure doesn't make the reservoir overflow by taking off the cap is releases the pressure and it should make the brake fluid raise alittle, Don't worry though doing the brakes are proper easy and once you do it you'll never pay a garage again. 😉 Don't hesitate to ask any more questions. 😊

I'll be upgrading mine soon on my Tourer to the EBC Drilled and Grooved with Green stuff pads all round.. Another job to get round to doing.

·
Registered
Civic Tourer
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its clockwise buddy.

And make sure you take off the brake reservoir cap and check as you rewind the piston back into the caliper that the pressure doesn't make the reservoir overflow by taking off the cap is releases the pressure and it should make the brake fluid raise alittle, Don't worry though doing the brakes are proper easy and once you do it you'll never pay a garage again. 😉 Don't hesitate to ask any more questions. 😊

I'll be upgrading mine soon on my Tourer to the EBC Drilled and Grooved with Green stuff pads all round.. Another job to get round to doing.
Thanks for that!

I've just watched a youtube video on replacing break pads on a gen 9 and the front calipers were just pushed back and the rears were rewound, not sure if mine are the same but I'll soon find out once I take the brake pads out.

Thanks for the tip with the brake fluid cap. I've watched a couple of videos now with no mention of removing the cap.

I take it you remove the brake fluid cap before pushing the piston back, keep an eye on the fluid so it doesn't overflow then replace the pads and caliper bracket, tighten the brake fluid cap, then pump the brakes to get the pressure back?

I'll be glad to do this myself, I enjoy these small jobs and saving a load of money is a huge bonus. With only having one car it's usually a problem finding the time to get these jobs done.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Tourer.
27 Posts
Thanks for that!

I've just watched a youtube video on replacing break pads on a gen 9 and the front calipers were just pushed back and the rears were rewound, not sure if mine are the same but I'll soon find out once I take the brake pads out.

Thanks for the tip with the brake fluid cap. I've watched a couple of videos now with no mention of removing the cap.

I take it you remove the brake fluid cap before pushing the piston back, keep an eye on the fluid so it doesn't overflow then replace the pads and caliper bracket, tighten the brake fluid cap, then pump the brakes to get the pressure back?

I'll be glad to do this myself, I enjoy these small jobs and saving a load of money is a huge bonus. With only having one car it's usually a problem finding the time to get these jobs done.
Thats correct, As you wind the caliper back in it forces the fluid to raise, Once you get all your new parts on ect, Pump the brakes and the level will go back down. If the fluid goes to high and starts to over flow you can use a syringe to reduce the mount of fluid what is a good trick but not many people have syringe lying around hahaha.

Let us know how you get on. 👍
Thats the trouble with having one car so alot of people just let garages do it.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts

rear is clockwise wind back, fronts are straight push.
be careful on the rears as the spacing of the slots for the pins on the tool might not fit the tool you buy - I only found that out once it was all apart and had to reassemble pronto and rush to friendly garage and borrow theirs

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,564 Posts
I bought mine off Autodoc for £45 discs and got pads from local motor factor for £24.... Easy job to do... The discs I took off where the originals from new and after 115K they were in desperate need of change....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts