2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a CTR brake upgrade a good while ago, I am suffering from the above, but only at the point the car is about to come to a stop.

I used plenty of copper grease where necessary and have then identified the cause as the lack of anti squeal shims on the back of the new pads (new Mintex plain discs and pads).

As I am not intending to replace the pads at all, as they function fine, are there separate shims available I could fit? I cannot use my old shims, as they are from the smaller 2.2 setup.

Ta. :)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Just purchase a set of shims from cox motor parts on the forum. Just specify its for the FN2 Type R

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I will dig up a part no for the shims for you.

Dan can get any genuine Honda part to my knowledge. Just a case of dropping him a PM and he'll order it in for you.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
OK, thanks Smithy1988!

But failing that, what about these?
I would go for OEM mate. You know they are going to fit. If you got these and the noise was still there, you still wouldnt know, if it was just becase you didnt have the genuine shims in place

Heres the front part num and rrp-
PFKL231795SHIM SET, FR.£13.58
PFKL231795 Front shim set RRP-13.58
2009 HONDA CIVIC 2.0 TYPE R FRONT BRAKE (2.0L) - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda | Honda Cars

and the rears...
2009 HONDA CIVIC 2.0 TYPE R REAR BRAKE - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda | Honda Cars

The rears use adhesive tape and are listed at the same price as the full pad set that includes them.
Have a word with Dan and see if hes able to split a part, or order them in seperately.

Reactions: Fr0d

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, thanks for that. I did look at that earlier, but wasn't sure if it was just per side, or per set. I only need the front, as the rears are silent.

I'll have to give COXMOTORPARTS a pm on the matter.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Yeah, thanks for that. I did look at that earlier, but wasn't sure if it was just per side, or per set. I only need the front, as the rears are silent.

I'll have to give COXMOTORPARTS a pm on the matter.
I'd like to think that was for both sides but I fear probably not. Only other option is post a thread in the wanted thread. May be a few people bought new oem pads and kept the shims each time

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up and fitted a set from my local Honda dealers and initial impressions suggest the squealing may be gone. A bit early yet though, as I've only really been round the block with them.

On a side note, I was a bit taken aback by how much my front pads have worn. :confused:

There is about 7mm of wear left on them, and I only fitted them just over 3 months ago! Is this normal?

My calipers are certainly not sticking, as they were new when I fitted them the same time as the pads and new discs, early November time. They are also nice and loose in the carriers, as I filed the metal edges down.

They are Mintex, btw and I couldn't help but notice how dusty there were when my summer tyres and alloys were on. Wheels needed cleaning every week, at least.

Or are they just a high dust, fast wearing compound? Discs are fine, btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.