2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody suffering excessive brake squeal? Usually when only applying the brakes lightly (yes it is braked hard at times). dont really want to take the pads out to scuff them every few weeks to stop the squeal.

Any other solutions????

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Miggins said:
Anybody suffering excessive brake squeal? Usually when only applying the brakes lightly (yes it is braked hard at times). dont really want to take the pads out to scuff them every few weeks to stop the squeal.

Any other solutions????
Could be one of Pottsy's dwarfs :lol: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/post6556.html#6556

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I stamp on the pedal harder?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
It could just be slight rusting as all metal discs are prone to this. Harder pressure would 'clean' them, but you could have a small stone lodged in a pad. Check the discs for any scoring.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usally get this due to heavy braking and the pads ending up with a 'sheen' on them due to the high temperatures. Only way to resolve it is to remove the pads and scuff them up with a piece of emery paper.

Permanent solution is a higher performance pad designed for higher temperatures but as its for road use a pad with a broad temp range is required. (Ferodo DS2000???)

I have cracked OEM road pads before due to high temperatures

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have had previous model civics in with squeal, and its usually brake dust build up. If you find that the noise goes when the brakes are applied in a harsh manner, its dust. The only solution is to clean the brakes up, or live with.

Apparently due to new materials in brake pads not being asbestos, and having finer particles, but dont quote me. Ta

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Martin - if it continues I'll pull them out and have a look - really annoying on a light brake when puling up at lights, but I'm not aware of it when I get home!

Reactions: stuey88
1 - 10 of 10 Posts