2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My 9th gen has done less than 1000miles and on the first two properly cold days early last week the hill assist seemed to not disengage the brakes as my wife attempted to pull off. It was on a busy uphill slip road (A46/A50 Leics) and happened aprox 9 times over the two days exactly the same location.

As my wife is pregnant I eventually convinced the dealer we brought from that they needed to pick the car up and drop off a replacement.

They've checked braking system and functionality of hill assist and are saying that there are no faults therefore they intend to give us a demonstration in another car, give us that car for the weekend so we can 'regain confidence' and then get us back into our car.

Im not happy, they need to identify the issue and resolve it, its dangerous otherwise!

Gutted as I was really pleased with the car until this, first brand new car was supposed to give us a hassle free, sensible family car.

Any advice please people?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sorry, I should have said they are doing a demo on another civic, as well as mine.

I cant see the point as they've admitted they cant re-create what happened.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The brakes won't release until the engine provides enough torque to pull away without stalling the engine. Try taking your car to the same spot and giving it a bit more 'beans'. I very much doubt there is anything wrong with your car. It caught me out when I first tried it too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The brakes won't release until the engine provides enough torque to pull away without stalling the engine. Try taking your car to the same spot and giving it a bit more 'beans'. I very much doubt there is anything wrong with your car. It caught me out when I first tried it too.
I have a Mazda 6 with this feature and civilright is right about enough torque as it does still after two years of ownership occasionally catch me out if I don't trottle it a bit more than I should.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Absolutely spot on... took me a while to get used to it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cheers guys, I've never noticed it work myself. Its reassuring to know that it could be driver error.

I'm still doubtfull though as my mrs is a pretty decent driver and probably drove that route 30 times before this issue happened. She ended up giving it plenty of 'beans' and after various attempts, stalls and jolts forward during the brakes being locked lasting upto a minute each time the brakes finally unlocked.

I also contacted honda uk customer services as it felt like the dealership were trying to fobb me off. They contacted the dealership along with other european customer service centres to see if any issues had occured in colder climates. Apparently there have been no reported faults with the hill assist system, which is abit of a two sided coin for me. Reassuring that there arent issues, but then if there were it might help lead to a resolution.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Cheers guys, I've never noticed it work myself. Its reassuring to know that it could be driver error.

I'm still doubtfull though as my mrs is a pretty decent driver and probably drove that route 30 times before this issue happened. She ended up giving it plenty of 'beans' and after various attempts, stalls and jolts forward during the brakes being locked lasting upto a minute each time the brakes finally unlocked.

I also contacted honda uk customer services as it felt like the dealership were trying to fobb me off. They contacted the dealership along with other european customer service centres to see if any issues had occured in colder climates. Apparently there have been no reported faults with the hill assist system, which is abit of a two sided coin for me. Reassuring that there arent issues, but then if there were it might help lead to a resolution.
Could be a faulty sensor I suppose...get them to run the diagnostics on the ECU just in case...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apparently they have and no faults are logged, dont see why they'd lie. Honda pays the dealership for warranty work so its in their benefit to find a fault and repair it I suppose.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Honda pays the dealership for warranty work so its in their benefit to find a fault and repair it I suppose.
Yeah its in the dealers interest as they don't get paid for fault finding only for the correction work. So hours of testing is lost money to them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If they are locking on for a minute, that in itself is an issue. Even if you just lift your foot off the brake pedal and do nothing else they will release after 3 seconds. If you are attempting to pull away and you don't provide enough torque the brakes will still release after 3 seconds at which point you will probably lurch and stall. If you reapply the foot brake the hill start assist will re-activate. Is this what you're experiencing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, although the car did lurch and stall at points this happened whilst the brakes were still locked and my wife was trying to get them to release.

I've been back to Honda today, after much deliberation and frustration they finally agreed to keep the car and try to more closely replicate the incident (cold morning, similar hill and traffic conditions) in order to try and identify the issue.

They are still adament that as no fault has been recorded (through the ecu) or is aparrent (checking braking system and functionality of hill assist) then it does'nt exist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car is a manual, the stop start traffic at this location means that its sometimes easier to not bother with handbrake.

·
Registered
161 Posts
May I suggest that you take it to a slope somewhere quiet and you try it a few times. I'm not saying I don't think there's anything wrong, I just know I had a similar experience. Until I got used to how it works, I thought the car was doing something strange. Now I'm used to it, it works perfectly every time. Once you get the hang of it, you'll hopefully see how useful it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand that its usefull to fully appreciatte how the system SHOULD work, but I definately think something is wrong.

I really hope they find out what it is, as much as i'm impressed with the jazz courtesy car I'd much rather have my proper car back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As I said earlier, if the brakes are holding on for a minute then there is definitely something wrong. Do the brakes ever jam on any other time? When they have jammed on, how did you get them to release? I am sure the dealer can plug their box of tricks in and tell what's wrong with it, otherwise you're stuck with a jazz!! :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They've never jammed on at any other time and eventually released after my wife gradually got more agressive with clutch and revs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
They've never jammed on at any other time and eventually released after my wife gradually got more agressive with clutch and revs.
I guess it's no problem then...it sounds like you just need some practice to get used to the system. It took me a few attempts too before I understood how it operates. It can seem like a problem if it catches you out unaware and there are disgruntled drivers behind you.

Without the system engaged, you would gradually release the handbrake and automatically adjust clutch/throttle until you start to creep forward. It's something you have learnt to do without really thinking. With the hill start assist it won't allow you to roll backwards, so if you don't give it enough beans it will remain engaged for 3 seconds. After 3 seconds it will release and it'll stall or roll backwards. If you produce enough torque, as you would if you were pulling away using the handbrake, the brakes will release immediately.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's definitely a problem!

Brakes locked on for up to a minute and had to be forced to release.

Under no circumstance should the hill start assist lock for more than 3secs at a time and it did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts