2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to buy new falken 452 for my rages but have noticed a few bridgestone potenza run flats with 8mm tread on ebayfor about same price, are these a better deal ? has anyone used them before ? is it true once u have a puncture with run flats they are knackered ?

thanks for replys

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
I have these on the rears of my Type R, re05a, there ok in the dry, can get a little slippy in the wet, but i had a screw in one a few weeks back, and it was fine for a week while i cuold get it seen to and plugged..

only trouble i find is there quite soft and are wearing quite quick with heavy cornering, but at least its even wear.

·
loving my black alloys :)
510 Posts
try Toyo

had these on my ST and when warm were awesome and very good in the wet

Dal

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
You can only put run flat tyres on a car that has a tyre pressure sensor. Civics dont have this.
If you did lose pressure you would be unaware of it and whilst runflats allow you to contunue driving the car after a puncture, you can only do so safely at less than 50mph.

With regards to ordinary Bridgestones i find them to be fairly quiet and long lasting but very prone to aquaplaning in the wet.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
run flats are quite heavy, if you are not really keen on using the DWS system I would advise against it. Otherwise RE50As are generally fine all-round, however pronce to quick wear at fast cornering (as said before).

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
run flats are quite heavy, if you are not really keen on using the DWS system I would advise against it. Otherwise RE50As are generally fine all-round, however pronce to quick wear at fast cornering (as said before).
Thinking of changing mine for some michellin pilot sports thats whats on the fronts.. seem good in wet and dry

·
Registered
631 Posts
as above good tyre but the wife went through a set in just under a year in the zafira
and that was about 7k miles, maybe a bit heavy on the power steering in the zaffy

·
Banned
952 Posts
my last new car had reo50's on it 215/45/17 i replaced the fronts 3 times always with them 1 word immense if they are good enough for a ENZO THEY ARE MORE THAN SUFFICIENT FOR A CIVIC

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
my CTS had came with michelin pilot sport 2's on (had upgraded 18" wheels) and they were great, stuck to the road and in the wet they were superb.

My new CTR has come with Bridgstone potenzas and to be fair, I'm not sure they are anywhere near as good...?

perhaps they are but I need convincing, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my last new car had reo50's on it 215/45/17 i replaced the fronts 3 times always with them 1 word immense if they are good enough for a ENZO THEY ARE MORE THAN SUFFICIENT FOR A CIVIC
The fact is that all the tyres don't work the same in different cars.

They simply doesn't work for me. The car understeers much more that with other tyres, like michelin pilot sport cup.
I don't like them.

·
Banned
952 Posts
my last car was front wheel drive aswell with similar power and and a lot more torque which makes a big difference. and i got on average 17k per front set renewed the rears at 36k so i would say they are immense

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
i was driving the CTS with pilot sports for approx one year but compared to Potenzas i think that RE50A offer much more confidence in driving. would like to hear opinions of other users though (esp. those running their CTRs on different tyres than RE050A).

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Mine does. It has DWS. Deflation Warning System.
But most civics don't. I think its only the 09 MY ones that have DWS. Therefore Toonfan should not be buying runflats.

Runflats give a hard ride in the most comfortable saloons so i dread to think what they would do to a Type R....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts