2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I arranged to get my air con re-gassed on my Type S. Unfortunately the tester found my condenser is leaking and is barely able to hold any pressure (My car seems to be falling apart!). He suggested it may be from stone damage.
I heard it is quite common on 8gen due to the size of the grill openings.

Has anyone successfully replaced the condenser on theirs? Is it worth the cost/hassle of refitting? Bit of a pain after the recent run of good weather.

I found the condensers are available for a good price but seeing that it likely hasn't worked for so long will I be unearthing other problems along the way?

·
i-Vtec
2,785 Posts
I just replaced mine last week, gets regased on saturday. Wasn't too much hassle replacing it, I didn't even need to remove the bumper. imo they are more than just a summer item, they act as a dehumidifier all year around which is especially good when it rains. Stone damage to condensers is very common on ALL cars tbh. To prevent it you'd need to fit a very small holed grill which would effect air flow through the condenser and more importantly the radiator.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I’ve had a fair few “Challenges” with my a/c with my past two CTR’s... last one was the biggest headache.

The system being open to the elements and moisture getting in for an extended period of time is never a good situation.

Believe when the system is empty/low on pressure the compressor has a fail safe so won’t engage, so you won’t be able to tell if that’s operating, and that’s an expensive part and a fiddle to get changed.

As @Das says changing the condenser is very straight forward and cheap so worth a go in my opinion. Just be absolutely sure that system is empty, ac gas is nasty stuff and the system is designed to keep it at pressure. Either way wear gloves and eye protection too be safe.

On changing the condenser who ever does the regas should first pull a vacuum, so you’ll know then if the condenser was the extent of the leak or not.

Oh and make sure you get a condenser that has a dryer with it as that will need replacing as well, typically they come with it anyway but worth double checking.

Good luck

·
i-Vtec
2,785 Posts
The one I linked to did have the new dryer and also 2 new O rings for the high and low pressure connections.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info thank you! It doesnt sound too horrific to install. I haven’t been able to find a diy for this but heard its quite easy anyway. I dont know if id need to drain it necessarily as it sounds empty. The A/C tester was pretty sure the condenser was leaking out air quicker than it could go in.

Im cautious of doing this and it still not working however incase the compressor and fan are also shot but dont know if there’s a way of testing it?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had the same problem my condenser was leaking and needed replacing, went to ats price include regas £320, however the ats recharge machine wasnt working and parts come a few days time.
I remember it was when it was scorching hot last year, i was desperate needed a working ac as inside the car was like a baking oven.
Mine a 2.2 ex with leather so bit the bullet went to the dealers next day they regassed and fitted a replacement condenser £360.
Car was up ramp bumper taken off took 2 hours, and garantee 12 months.
You can do diy but u need the lubricant, o rings and the condenser.
I wouldnt worry about the gas as in your case all of it has evaporated. Still better to get it done by any fast fit place, they include the gas recharge with fitting

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts