2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the Honda for an MOT today. Everything was going great until the guy found a broken spring which I stupidly missed when inspecting the car as it is broken in the back and only detectable by touch. Anyway, I had decided to change both springs but thought why not change the shocks too as they are the original ones. (2007, 32k miles) I also have a knocking sound from that side which wasn't fixed by changing the drop links. It only clunks on full left lock. I think it could be the top mount so since I'm in there might as well change them too.

The guy told me that often when the springs are changed the shocks break a couple of months later because they are more stressed than usual (not sure how). He already knew I'm doing it myself so no incentive to upsell. Is there any truth to that?

Anyway, the total adds up to £205. £100 for two new Sachs, £43 for two KYB springs and £60 for two OE quality top mounts with bearings. I would do just the springs but if the clunking is present then it would all have to go out again to change the top mount anyway. Regarding the shocks - there are no leaks or anything but they are old. So its either £205 for everything or £43 for springs and fingers crossed that solves the clunking noise.

Considering age and mileage what would you suggest?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be the drop link or the anti roll bar bushes. I had knocking sound on mine until I changed them
I've already changed the drop links and bushes a month after getting the car, also copper greased the plate on the bottom as per Honda instructions. That removed 95% of the noise. It's only this full left lock induced clunk. I am pretty sure its either the spring itself or the top mount as the noise sounds as if coming from higher in the car, unlike the drop link clunk.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,732 Posts
changed all mine 18 months ago, I had one leaking front shock and that dreaded clunking twanging noise so I ended up changing the complete suspension, front and rear with Sachs shocks and eibach lowering springs and genuine top mounts and top strut bearings and what a massive difference it made no clunking sound and a smoother ride over bumps, the knocking was the top mounts and the twanging noise was the top strut bearing, I was advised to use genuine top mounts and bearing by my friend who is a mechanic because he said he's fitted aftermarket one's before but they have failed early ,so if you buy aftermarket get good quality one's...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
changed all mine 18 months ago, I had one leaking front shock and that dreaded clunking twanging noise so I ended up changing the complete suspension, front and rear with Sachs shocks and eibach lowering springs and genuine top mounts and top strut bearings and what a massive difference it made no clunking sound and a smoother ride over bumps, the knocking was the top mounts and the twanging noise was the top strut bearing, I was advised to use genuine top mounts and bearing by my friend who is a mechanic because he said he's fitted aftermarket one's before but they have failed early ,so if you buy aftermarket get good quality one's...
I’ve found original Sachs but the top mounts are aftermarket. The original ones are quite expensive. Still undecided. I’d rather save the money and do springs only but I plan to keep the car for a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Quick update here too, I hope I'm not breaking any rules M8TJT.

My advice, change the whole thing and don't be a cheap b*****d like me. The shocks were busted and I'm doing the whole front suspension now. The clunk was indeed the spring so if you have that issue don't rush changing the drop links but check the spring, at least it's easy and good to rule it out first.

E: Forgot to add. Whatever you are doing, if it involves unbolting the shock DO NOT let the arm with the bearing/disk drop too low or you will regret even attempting to fix your own car. The CV joint will pop out and you spend a horrific sweat and rage infused afternoon trying to pop it back in. If you do end up in that miserable place what did it for me is pulling the little bearings out a bit or they wont fit in the other part of the CV joint.

·
4,236 Posts
Yep. First sentence, Rule 1, seeing as you ask0:) :grin2: but updates to previous posts are really good.

EDIT: And I like the CV warning.[smilie=ebil-thumbu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts