2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After reading through countless threads i couldn't really find any info on this topic.

Anyhows i have a 57 plate 2.2 Diesel Type S GT and this morning went to get in the car as usual and found that i couldn't open the drivers door. After a few attempts at trying to open it i gave up and got in the passengers door and climbed over to the drivers seat. I then tried to open the drivers door from the inside and found that the door still wouldn't open. So drove to work and decided to go to the dealer which is closest to my work, Southall Honda.

Now they said to look at the door to find out what's wrong they are charging me £95. So i leave the car with them and go back to work. Got a phone call an hour later saying that the door handle mechanism is broken and it's going to cost £245 to replace it.

As you can imagine i'm not very happy and feel very ripped off. Is this the normal price to fix a door handle?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you NoNumpty, Hmmm seems as though that is exactly the same problem as i have got. They are charging me the double the amount. Although the funny thing is i actually bought my car from Clover Leaf Reading. I should have gone there instead.

Also is there anything i can do as they are currently working on the car now. Can i dispute the charge of £245 or do i have to just accept paying that?

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts
contact honda uk as its a well known issue to them tell them you chose honda for its reliability and its a cost you can't afford it worked for me with my bump stops and my warranty was up by six months,they might repair under the good will gesture as long as your service history is up to date,i had exactly the same issue with the passenger side handle, wouldn't open inside or outside went to honda who said they have to damage the door panel to get inside hence the hefty price,lucky for me i still had warranty from the garage i bought it from they said the door handle was £120 they managed to open the door by violently shaking the car, something loose inside then it opened. good luck mate let us know how you get on.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Walk away from Southall and go elsewhere. As stated, this is a well known issue and should have been performed under a recall.

I personally would never go anywhere near Southall as they did my PDI on behalf of another dealer in the group and it was atrocious. They left 2 items in a dangerous condition (front mats not anchored properly and tyre pressures +/- 10psi).

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's interesting that there was a recall. I bought the car second hand in June 2009 so i'm not sure if the car was called in for a recall. Honda certainly haven't contacted me since i've had the car for a recall. Is there anyway of finding out if it had been recalled before i bought it?

Not sure what to do now as the repair has been carried out and picked the car up yesterday afternoon with my wallet £245 lighter.

Is it worth me contacting Honda UK?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
As above
Its a recall issue
As far as I know it is not actually a "recall issue", as they will not repair it if it is not broken. Simply that if you do have a problem it is fixed under warranty even if out of date. I had a broken handle last month and had it fixed foc no problem.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right have sent a heated email to Honda UK. Had an email back saying that due to the nature of my email it's been passed onto customer relations and they will reply in the next 3 days.

I don't think anything will come of it, but feel better for getting that off my chest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts