2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Noticed my handbake fet a little strange! over the weekend. Had a look this morning and the lever is broken on both side about 40mm down from the button? causing the button end to wobble.

Has anyone else had this problem, will it be covered under warranty?

Regards

·
Registered
425 Posts
Honda dealer would be the best to ask that question to. Depending on the break though, it may be deemed as "improper use".

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Hi mate, I know exactly what you mean. Mine is broken in about the same place but on one side. Have no idea how it happened. Haven't done anything about it as of yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mate, I know exactly what you mean. Mine is broken in about the same place but on one side. Have no idea how it happened. Haven't done anything about it as of yet.
Hello

I think if you look closely on the otherside it's broken as well. Because I thought mine was only split on one side? But the soon strains the otherside.

Regards

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Hmm...I hadn't actually checked. lol
I'll take a look when I get out of work.

I don't know about you, but I also find my handbrake lever feels quite loose when it's not engaged. It wobbles from side to side a little. Dunno if that's normal.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Na, men's not that bad. It's only snapped at my side. Looks like the other side could be close though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello

Took car into dealers today, will replace under warranty................:)

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Good stuff, mine is in tomorrow for a few bits and bobs including this (whole top part snapped away).

Glad to hear others have had a positive response from Honda, fingers crossed I join the club too!

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine broke in the same place on both sides, I was in for a service a few weeks later so asked them to look at it, they told me it wasn't covered under warranty so its broke lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello

Had new Handbrake Lever fitted this morning :) Under warranty........

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Good news! Dealer inspected mine on Wednesday (the glue and tape holding the various bits together was a good indicator of its condition..!!!).

Said they needed to send pix off to Honda and just had a call to say no problems, replacement part ordered and received, car booked in for Tuesday morning.

Better still, I asked them to do the same for my mouldy rear light cluster (green mould under the lip same as many, many other owners) - and that too is being replaced at the same time, all under warranty.

I think the saying goes "if you don't ask, you don't get"..! Result!

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
286 Posts
Please add me to the ever growing list of owners that have had the plastic handbrake cowl snap at the release button end. I'll try my local dealer (I'm not sure if my car was recalled for the handbrake mod), who knows...maybe they'll replace it for free.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Please add me to the ever growing list of owners that have had the plastic handbrake cowl snap at the release button end. I'll try my local dealer (I'm not sure if my car was recalled for the handbrake mod), who knows...maybe they'll replace it for free.
Try sticking your vin number in here, will tell you if there's any recalls on your car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Better still, I asked them to do the same for my mouldy rear light cluster (green mould under the lip same as many, many other owners) - and that too is being replaced at the same time, all under warranty.

Nick
hmm, I tried to get this done last year and Honda UK refused, saying it was unsightly, but not a warranty issue.

bloody handbrakes broken in exactly the same place as the others too, on both sides! I don't hold out much hope of getting it sorted under the (extended) warranty..

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
did mine, very easy to replace. Buy from a breaker if u can as whole handbrake unit has to be replaced (very easy to do), cost me £35 from a breaker.

I posted a how to some time ago to explain how to replace it... takes under 30 mins.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Just bought a metal universal handbrake cover from eBay. Not sure it'll fit, but for £8 I was willing to take a chance. The way my handbrake is now, I could snap most of the plastic cover off to attach the metal one over the top.
Superglue and araldite only held it together for a week or 2, and I'd rather not buy another OEM one knowing it'll likely snap again.

Will post up if it fits on and looks alright. Might not look the best, but as long as it's solid, that'll do me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Just bought a metal universal handbrake cover from eBay. Not sure it'll fit, but for £8 I was willing to take a chance. The way my handbrake is now, I could snap most of the plastic cover off to attach the metal one over the top.
Superglue and araldite only held it together for a week or 2, and I'd rather not buy another OEM one knowing it'll likely snap again.

Will post up if it fits on and looks alright. Might not look the best, but as long as it's solid, that'll do me.

How'd u get on with this mate, fitted it yet?

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts

How'd u get on with this mate, fitted it yet?
Nope, not arrived yet. EBay purchase and I think it's not a UK seller, so may be a few days yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts