2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just hit my mirror on the archway coming out of my drive and now the folding mirror button makes the mirror rotate past the normal locking point when they open, it closes okay but it just spins all the way round nearly when it opens :(

Anyone know how hard its going to be to fix?

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
I'm guessing that 'll be an entire new unit...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope not... :(

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know which fuse will disable the folding mirrors for now? They keep rotating when I start the ignition

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No :s its the drivers side so Ive manually aligned it for the time being so can drive legally but the second you turn the engine on it notices its not fully round and starts rotating again :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this too when some d***hole smashed into it. Yep, it keeps turning outwards to some dodgy angle and kept clicking, seemed like the inner workings needed adjusting but I don't know if it could be fixed I just replaced.

Try turning the wing mirror adjustments button on your door to the passenger side? If not, you should be able to take the door panel off and pull out the cable easily enough.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers for the link! atleast i don't have to lean out of my car in the rain to straighten it up! :)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I have my doubts that repairing the SOD will fix your problem but here's a link to the correct polyswitch on fleabay, I had the 'traditional' mirror problem (slow operation, incomplete fold/unfold) and doing the repair fixed mine - I think you will end up having to replace the whole mirror because I think the metal casting inside may have fractured; anyway the SOD repair may be a good first step as it's only going to cost you three quid for a pack here:

RXEF030 - Polyswitch Radial 0.3A - TE CONNECTIVITY / RAYCHEM | eBay

and about an hour of time - you will need a soldering iron and some goop to seal the repaired SOD after to prevent water ingress

Good luck

Dave

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I wonder if the op ever got this sorted as I have the same issue ,the drivers side mirror when it unfolds goes too far back along with lots of horrible clicks and bangs !?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if the op ever got this sorted as I have the same issue ,the drivers side mirror when it unfolds goes too far back along with lots of horrible clicks and bangs !?
Unfortunately seemed to be a replacement unit was needed as the mechanism had broken, never got it fixed though as i traded it in my 1.8 and got a Type R, best bet would be as above, try getting another mirror from a scrapyard.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
have now found the sod unit and unplugged it doesn't fold but it doesn't unfold anymore I wonder if the sod repair would do it?

I have now removed the sod unit and may try a repair and see if that helps!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
given the horrible noises it makes as it goes all the way forward I would guess the mirror post is broken, has anyone fixed one?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Hmmm that looks like a sheared pivot repair which whilst very good is not what mine needs I think there must be some kind of stop or peg which mine has broken ? I will have another look it makes a loud bang every time it goes past where it should stop !

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
My car is currently having some TLC so I thought I would show the Mechanic friend doing it the inside of the mirror lo and behold we found a loose hardened pin about 10mm long in the bottom of the mirror must have broken off somewhere? going to swap SOD units over and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
SOD units made no difference so that's ne fault I don't have ! Has anyone completely dismantled a mirror and repaired the stop pin?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts