2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i bought a second hand '07 Milano FN2 with 30000 km a couple of weeks ago and i want to know if the other Type-R drivers have the same "problem" with the engine.

When the engine is cold the engine buckles a little bit during the first couple of minutes. It's best noticeable when you accelerate normally to a maximum RPM of 2500. After shifting to the 2nd gear the accelaration proccess is not normal, it's buckling - not very intense but noticeable.

Do you have the same problem with your FN2?

I heard that this is "normal" for the K20 because the cold run is not so ideal.
I also heard that an air intake removes the problem. But i don't want an air intake...

Thank you
Regards
Daniel

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
It's normal from a cold start matey, will improve when the weather does although in my experience using a higher octane fuel eg V Power eases it. Mind you, cost of a tank of loopy juice these days means I put up with the occasional judder!!

Cheers

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Both my CTR's have done it, so i wouldn't worry. Been told by Honda that it's completely normal.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
What you mean by buckling?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Bucking bronco! ... a bit jumpy in other words, until the engine warms up
Oh I see. Yeah I get that, in fact most the time on my temp map at the mo.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yes this is normal, my car still does it and I've had it from new, as mentioned before try using Shell VPower as it mays a noticable difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks i'm convinced now :)

Anyhow i think it's curious because my old '92 CRX SiR and the '96 Civic EJ9 doesn't have these "problems"... :(

·
Supercharged Blue Type R
2,399 Posts
I use vpower and although my car isn't a year old yet I have put some miles on her through work, the higher octane rating will give a hotter cleaner burn.

I've not had this problem but it does help if you let the car idle at 3000rpm on cold start and let it drop to 2500 before taking off.

I only do this because of experience with turbos and motorbikes, turbos need to warm up to an acceptable operating temperature and motorbikes like vtecs are high reving and so is good practice to also warm up and get the oil to a safe temperature to ride.

Because on a cold start there is an increase in fuel added to the engine like a choke, the air/fuel intake is imbalanced slightly meaning there is more fuel than air injected into the combustion chamber to operate normally. So accelerating can enhance this imbalance and cause the engine to judder as the combustion process trys to compensate for a lack of air needed to ignite the fuel.

Be patient with your Type R, and let the engine settle like I do above and this should ease your discomfort and reduce engine wear in the long term.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Have to admit was not expecting the big improvement but when i first tried V-power a few weeks back it was better, last week needed to fill the tank for a long motorway run and could not see the point of using V-power for this, and sure enough the cold starts i had on this tank full were back to the hesitation and flat spots. Refilled with V-power and running smooth again.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I dont see how a higher octane rating can resolve this? If the bucking is due to pre combustion then there is something seriously wrong with our engines.

Placebo effect maybe?

·
V-tec BOOM
1,015 Posts
mine does the cold judder
but since owning a scooby im used to it
its a fairly common thing in highly strung engines like the k20

·
Registered
356 Posts
I dont see how a higher octane rating can resolve this? If the bucking is due to pre combustion then there is something seriously wrong with our engines.

Placebo effect maybe?
Its well documented that on naturally aspirated engines the gains from these high octane fuels is minimal. People who claim they notice an improvement probably are suffering from Placebo effect, but if you read my thread i am not claiming any improvement in performance. However my car like many others when running from stone cold has a noticeable flat spot between 1500-2000rpm. Filling with V-power has all but eliminated this. This is a FACT, it may not work in other peoples cars but i simply reported it as it may help somebody else with a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Its well documented that on naturally aspirated engines the gains from these high octane fuels is minimal. People who claim they notice an improvement probably are suffering from Placebo effect, but if you read my thread i am not claiming any improvement in performance. However my car like many others when running from stone cold has a noticeable flat spot between 1500-2000rpm. Filling with V-power has all but eliminated this. This is a FACT, it may not work in other peoples cars but i simply reported it as it may help somebody else with a similar problem.
Did it fix the "bucking"? So your saying 99 octane has removed a flat spot.

If a NA car has active knock control higher octane rated fuel will give performance gains. Less knocking = less ignition retardation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts