2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Before a recent trip to the UK (I live in France) I checked to see if there were new maps available for my car (a 2019 Civic 4-door). I successfully downloaded these using Garmin Express onto a USB and installed them in the car on the long drive up to Calais. In the UK, I had no problems using the new maps. Back in France, however, I was unable to switch countries or enter any destination in France. The GPS seems to know where I am (giving the correct lat/long coordinates) and the map shows the correct compass orientation, but it only shows the biggest trunk roads and there is no detailed mapping at all. It feels like the cartographic data is incomplete. In fact, it reminds of the very first CD-based GPS systems, where you had one CD per country with detailed maps for that country and just motorways/primary routes shown in the neighbouring countries.
Has anyone experienced this issue? I have re-downloaded the maps and will try a reinstall on my next long trip (Honda recommends one hour and apparently it has to be uninterrupted, unlike my last Volvo), but wonder if anyone here has heard of any bugs or known issues. The 2019 maps worked fine in France as well as the UK, but AFAIK, there is no way to go back.
Thanks,
Julian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I managed to get an answer to this from the dealer where I bought the car after the holiday weekend in France. He recommended that I carry out the map update with the car stationary, the engine running and the handbrake on. As a precaution, I also disabled the Bluetooth connection to my phone so that the Connect system would not be "distracted" if a call came in. This method was successful and I can now navigate to addresses in France again! It seems a bit wasteful to leave the engine running, but it appears to be the surest way. I had two Volvos before this Civic and the map updates followed a similar two-stage process. With the Volvos, the update in the car took longer (1.5 hours) as the file set was much bigger (18 GB), but you could interrupt the process as often as you wished and the system would automatically resume where you left off.

·
4,586 Posts
I'm pleased it worked out for you.
I think the procedure given was just to 'make sure'.
I have updated on the move before with no problem.

·
Grumpy old f**k
108 Posts
I have a similar problem, i will try your fix to see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts