2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My passenger side bump stop has been out of place for months and months, I was going to order the kit from coxmotorparts and fit it all myself.

But I decided to call my local honda dealer instead to get a price on it (or them) being replaced, and as I expected and knew they don't just replace the bump stops anymore.

Although much to my suprise he said they just "remove" them now instead of replace, has anyone else had them fully removed rather than replace them? If so how was it? Is it really worth buying new ones or shall I remove them as that's what the dealer does?

(Hopefully the big clunking noise from my front is actually the broken bump stop???)
Dan

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you remove the bump stops the strut might hit the top mount when going over big bumps. not good and may damage the shockers. you'll hear a loud thump too.

Dropped bump stop will make a "thud" sound rather thank clunk.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Are the bump stops not designed to protect against excessive damper stroke I.e. the damper is only designed to work with a certain amount of stroke and the bump stop protects against this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yes, that's what I thought. Odd that my local honda dealer now charges to remove them rather than replace the kit?

I could just leave it in and let it knock around i assume its not causing any damage ?

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Can I suggest you find a new honda dealer, bump stops are there for a reason and shouldn't be removed, it's like saying I'm fed up with punctures so have removed my tyres to ensure I don't get another!

Don't judge me. I was born to be awesome not perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I suggest you find a new honda dealer, bump stops are there for a reason and shouldn't be removed, it's like saying I'm fed up with punctures so have removed my tyres to ensure I don't get another!

Genuine Honda Dealer too! (Noobs) I'll buy some from cox motor parts, is it worth replacing both at the same time??

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
I've not bothered with mine, when mine dropped I pushed it back in, hasn't dropped again since......yet and it's been 3 or 4 months. I would probably do both as Sod's law state if you only do one the other will drop a week later

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not bothered with mine, when mine dropped I pushed it back in, hasn't dropped again since......yet and it's been 3 or 4 months. I would probably do both as Sod's law state if you only do one the other will drop a week later

Ahh I could try and wedge it back in, did you jack the car up and just push it back up?

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
I was having new tyres fitted at the time so was up on the ramp. (To be honest when I say "I" I mean I got the tyre fitter to push it back in! )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was having new tyres fitted at the time so was up on the ramp. (To be honest when I say "I" I mean I got the tyre fitter to push it back in! )

Ahh cool, thanks. I'll try and push it back in as a temporary fix. I really need my tracking doing so was debating fixing the bump stops first.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
i bought my type s 3 years ago , bump stops were out on both sides , pushed them back in but kept coming out after a couple of days , i ended up cleaning area that they are pushed into best i could , bought some sika flex etb and put it around top of bump stop and pushed back in , left for 24 hours and they have been in for the last 3 years

·
Registered
24 Posts
sorry for asking, but what are the symptoms you'd expect to get if the bump stops had dropped? I've suddenly noticed a sound from the front end that is akin to drop link failure, even though they were replaced on both sides earlier this year. Would this point to my bump stops?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts