2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Warning to all folks who have a civic > 3 years with this issue
I just went to Honda in St Albans and they said this was not covered by any extended warranty or service bulletin repair and quoted me............wait for it

£295 to replace both front bump stops

They weren't in the slightest sympathetic, just asked if I wanted it booked in or not

got the car from a peugeot dealer 2 weeks ago so not happy but will try and get them to replace - I don't think that'll be easy though

I have had both of mine replaced at separate times and they charged me £140 for each one:(

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
£140 each one!!

you can get them from Lings honda for around £20 each!

·
Registered
29 Posts
To update,

I called Honda UK (head office in slough) and asked them if there is a service bulletin or extended warranty for this issue as it seems to be a common problem. They obviously confirmed what the dealer said - there is no extended warranty or a service bulletin to replace these.....but... they were willing to pay for the parts and half the labour costs

Only cost £122.40 in the end. The guy I spoke to at Honda UK = top guy. They had to refer my call to the relevant dept and could have taken up to 3 working days to call me back with a resolution (usual big company scenario), someone called me within 10 minutes. That guy called the dealer where I had the inspection straight away and literally within 20 minutes, I had authorisation by the dealer to bring it in for the above price.

Anyone with this issue should definitely try this

·
more torque than the mrs
6,716 Posts
Had mine replaced at 36k in November at brindley Wolverhampton for free well almost, cost £10 for courtesy car, manufacturers warranty had expired 6 month's,i spoke to a guy at Honda UK called mat and after telling him this is my second civic with the same issue and i chose Honda for its reliability he said its a known problem to them and they would do it as a good will gesture as long as i had a full service history and were up to date,the car felt so much better after new ones fitted and still does,don't know how long the bump stops will stay in place especially with all these pot holes appearing I'm doing a lot of dodging at the moment.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Damn, i think I've got this problem and i have the extra 1 year extended warranty which i bought from honda last year do you think they should cover this :S

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Andy,

They should definitely cover this, as deni.babe said, it makes so much difference, you'd wish you done it earlier

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
I've had this issue since I bought my car brand new in 2007... I'm now on my second set of bumpstops and second set of shock absorbers... Still the same old knocking sound when I go over bumps.
Also, don't be fooled, work completed under the warranty period is only covered till your warranty expiry date. All works completed before this period do not hold a seperate 12 month warranty.

Conclusion... forget it and buy Koni FSD's! ;) ...that'll definately be my next move anyway!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys I'm going to check em asap, I've got temp sensor broke and squeaky clutch pedal aswell ! hope they can do it all under warranty :S

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Clonks...

My NSF suspension is knocking over potholes, bumps etc. also.

Is there a surefire way to know the difference between a faulty bump stop or ARB drop link?

I've had a quick look at both and although the stop is yellow, it doesn't appear to have dropped from its normal position, and there doesn't appear to be any play in the ARB link either. (the dealer whom I bought the car from told me at least one of the links had been replaced before I bought the car, 4 months ago, but I don't know if I believe them).

Would hate to waste time and money renewing the wrong part!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I have had whole strut and drop link swopped and my klonk is still there.
Next week I am having the anti roll bar bushes changed.
Wait until I have had that done and I may be able to help......

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have has the same problem for the last 14 months, he dealer has changed the bump stops, he drop link bars nad the shockers on both sides of the car and it is still the same. Honda are now saying it is a "characteristic" of the car

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
i have has the same problem for the last 14 months, he dealer has changed the bump stops, he drop link bars nad the shockers on both sides of the car and it is still the same. Honda are now saying it is a "characteristic" of the car
That is unbelievable and quite unacceptable. Do these cars come with this "characteristic" when they leave the forecourt? I bet they don't, in which case they should fix it under warranty!

My god these cars are flakey. :facepalm:

I think I will try cutting a bump stop down just to see what happens...

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Well, i jacked the N/S/F end of my car up to have a closer inspection of the bump stop in the strut and this was what i was greeted with, upon removing the dust cover.

Seems to be wedged in position OK, and no evidence that its dropped any, although it looks to be one of the original yellow variety.

Sod it, i thought, and with the help of a stanley blade, more rain and the patience of a saint, began to chop off the bottom curved end of the stop. This is not as easy as I thought it might be, I can tell you. Below is the chunk of stop I removed.

After putting everything back, I took the car for a short test drive on a local pothole-ridden stretch of road. Dare I say it - the clonking seems to have gone! (Doh! now i've said it! :facepalm:) To be honest, I am gonna reserve judgement for the next week or so, as I really don't want to tempt fate! ;)

Fr0d

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Interesting, please keep us posted.

I have read the threads on cutting the bumps down and decided that it must make a difference as the suspension has greater travel before it starts to bottom out on the bump stop.

I think the springs are not particularly progressive and the bump stop is reasonably soft and is supposed to act like a secondary spring.

Small bumps in the road = small suspension travel = spring only
Big bumps in the road = long suspension travel = spring + bumpstop

The knocking is the sleeve of the strut contacting the bump stop and shock loading the top mount.

By cutting the stop away you are giving the strut a greater length of travel, so it will need a much bigger road bump to contact the stop and rattle everything about.

But on the other hand slow speed near side only bumps will twist the roll bar and may be "slap" it against slightly worn roll bar bushes

My roll bar bushes are being changed this weekend, so we can delete them from the list next week.....

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Interesting, please keep us posted.

I have read the threads on cutting the bumps down and decided that it must make a difference as the suspension has greater travel before it starts to bottom out on the bump stop.

I think the springs are not particularly progressive and the bump stop is reasonably soft and is supposed to act like a secondary spring.

Small bumps in the road = small suspension travel = spring only
Big bumps in the road = long suspension travel = spring + bumpstop

The knocking is the sleeve of the strut contacting the bump stop and shock loading the top mount.

By cutting the stop away you are giving the strut a greater length of travel, so it will need a much bigger road bump to contact the stop and rattle everything about.

But on the other hand slow speed near side only bumps will twist the roll bar and may be "slap" it against slightly worn roll bar bushes

My roll bar bushes are being changed this weekend, so we can delete them from the list next week.....
Well its been near enough a week, and about 300 or so miles of motoring and at no point has the dreaded suspension "clonk" returned![smilie=thumbup.gif]

Good job I didn't take the advice of a few garages i visited and looked through a few past posts on here instead, or i would have been shelling out for various suspension and steering parts I don't need! :rolleyes:

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Incidentally, if anyone else is gonna try this (I take no responsibility for knackering your suspension!), you need to leave the "lip" on just above the curved bit, or else the strut dust cover will not fit back on! :readpaper:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Well the roll bar bushes have been changed.
Klonk is slightly more subdued, but not eliminated.
Roll bar bushes did not show any significant wear....
Not happy, but at least that option is eliminated

81 - 100 of 115 Posts