2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
If Carlsberg did Civics..
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have this issue where when I change gear (usually the lower gears), the car seems less responsive for a brief second and sometimes I even get an odd 'bump', It's kind of difficult to explain but I've spoken to a few other Civic owners and they get the same thing. It's not causing any major grief, it's more of a comfort thing really.

It's pretty clear that the previous owner did no work to the car and mistreated it somewhat too, but was just wondering if anyone else has had these quirks and what did you do to sort it?

Cheers guys, hope that makes sense. :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the same problem,feels like the clutch pedal is up for a brief second before the drive is taken up,between 1st to 2nd & 3rd,.I also notice a resistance in the gear stick as if the clutch pedal is not quite pushed far enough when i change gear.(which is the opposite to what i said earlier :confused:) Dodgy master cylinder???

·
Registered
54 Posts

Yip, I have the same problem. It's actually a huge problem when you try and take a gap between upcoming cars. You press down on the accelerator, but nothing happens. Then all of a sudden the car jerks and your off. And no, it's not me driving like a idiot. Don't know what it is but it's dam irritating. And you probably look like a dick head from the outside as your head is thrown back....

It's still amazes me how these faults wasn't picked up when the car was tested in the design stages.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad it's not just me then. I'm not sure but I think I remember reading somewhere a while back that a firmware upgrade can sort this?

Don't know anything about the firmware to be honest, is it capable of causing this? :confused:

Cheers

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I've got the same problem,feels like the clutch pedal is up for a brief second before the drive is taken up,between 1st to 2nd & 3rd,.I also notice a resistance in the gear stick as if the clutch pedal is not quite pushed far enough when i change gear.(which is the opposite to what i said earlier :confused:) Dodgy master cylinder???
Interesting.. I have trouble downshifting, mainly second gear. It's just seems like it doesn't want to go in and I either have to go to third or stop and go into 1. It's very annoying at roundabouts or junctions, even if you lift the clutch up and then back down it still wont go.

I read on here how it might be the gear linkage cables but I also have a clicking clutch (it didn't do this from new) so maybe the two are related.. :worms:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I assume all posters here are owners of the 1.8 petrol car. I recall all of your 'problems' but they just arent problems i'm afraid. If you shift up and then only sligtly press the accelerator then the car goes in vtec and if you then press harder the cams change from vtec on to vtec off so there is a slight moment nothing happens and then you're off but when doing this with an rpm lower then 3000 the 1.8 just does not have the torque needed for a swift acceleration. Honda (petrol) engines are high revving, low torque engines.
I bought my car in sept 07 and i recall going trhough all the stages i'm reading here, the weird judder/hesitation and very nervous car when sitting in traffic and trying to maintain a constant speed. And with 100% certainty i can assure you that when i had the ECU update fitted, it was FAR less noticeable. If you want i can search the forum for the exact ECU update number!

Concerning your shifthing problems coldwarekid and SGN, mine was a disaster the first 15000 km, i couldnt get it in gear with all the force of the world sometimes and it even popped out of gear a few occasions, just plain dangerous. Twice i had my garage look at the problem under warranty and both times i was told there was nothing wrong but they still had done some slight changes. Now after 23000 km i'm beginning to see a pattern in it. When doing short runs i still experience what SGN describes as a resistance during shifting, shifting up aswell as down. Longer runs however seem to be a pretty damn good cure for the problem, when all oils are at temperature it is extremely slick in its gearchanges, no resistance whatsoever, it even seems to eat up the gearshifter. I also noticed that when shifting down from third to second at high revs, it works completly perfect, even with a cold engine.
Now i dont know offcourse if you do a lot of short runs but if you do, be sure to give a good trash once in a while, the entire engine seems a different one for a few days after it, also very good for the hesitation problem imo. But be sure that the engine is at working temperature before you thrash it, and dont crash the car ;)
Hope this helps!

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Woette. Yeah I'm looking into the ECU upgrade now. Like I say I do a job where I have to drive loads so it's just a comfort thing really. I appreciate that it will feel a bit 'oddish' at times due to the VTEC. Just want to minimize it a bit really.

Revel in my technical terms such as 'oddish'.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I think you might be onto something, Woette. It mostly does happen when first started, i'll have to watch out for it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

Hey Woette

Is there a way to check what version the ECU is??..Can it be done with commands on the steering wheel?..
Not that i'm aware of, i only know the self diagnositc run you can make the dash run but this has nothing to do with the engine. Best is that you let your dealer check it at the next service, it shouldnt be a hassle for them!

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the original post sums up the issue exactly for me. It's pretty clear the the previous ownder of the car didnt have a clue. I even had to get all the manufacturers faults sorted first too!

The guy was driving it for 2 years with the fuel cap fault too, nutter.

Cheers Woette

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, got the car booked in for a few weeks time. I'll most likely have to show the tekkie the issue on a quick drive. Sods law it'll be the smoothest drive of my life ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts