2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

When I first got my car a few week ago (Civic 2012, 1.8 engine) they have serviced my car (oil/filter change).
Since I noticed a lot of moisture coming from my exhaust I took it out for a spin on the German Autobahn (no speed limit speedway). Of course I drove the car for almost an hour gently to let the engine and oil slowly warm up.

When I pushed (180 km/h) my car on the speedway I smelled a typical burned diesel smell (exactly the same smell when a turbo diesel car in front of you is pulling up).

At first I thought it was the Audi driving in front of me, though eventually I noticed this smell was coming from my own car (no one in front of me).
This is rather strange since I'm driving a petrol car and the air ducts were re-circulating instead of fresh air coming in.

Could this be some spilled oil on my engine burning up due to hot temperatures causing this smell or is there a cause of concern?

This have been the only occurrence of this smell (and pushing the car hard). When I'm driving within normal limits I have never noticed this smell anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
no idea what the smell of diesel will be if its a petrol car
as for moisture from exhaust its a common thing on modern cars
I reason is catalytic convertor and natural
I know a few that were convinced there head gasket had gone back in the day when cats were first getting fitted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no idea what the smell of diesel will be if its a petrol car
as for moisture from exhaust its a common thing on modern cars
I reason is catalytic convertor and natural
I know a few that were convinced there head gasket had gone back in the day when cats were first getting fitted
That was what I was questioning too (maybe it was oil indeed?). The smell disappeared as soon as I drove slower, the moment I pushed again I did smell the same odor (and this time no one in front of me).

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Could this be some spilled oil on my engine burning up due to hot temperatures causing this smell or is there a cause of concern?
I'd expect it's just this.

When I had my 1.4 "on the limit" on the Autobahn in summer, I haven't experienced the same thing - So you shouldn't be getting the smell from elsewhere that I can think of - Probably just a splash of oil somewhere!

Have you checked the oil since the run? There can be a tendancy to drink a little oil (Only a couple hundred ml at most) for extended high speed runs. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had indeed checked my oil level afterwards and it was still at the full mark level :)

·
i-Vtec
2,613 Posts
I get a hot burning smell from my 1.8 when I stretch its legs. I think its due to the fact that the 1.8 runs cool normally, thermostat opens at 82C, and its just your burning the crud from the exhaust/EGR when your pushing it.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
its not the sulphury smell from the cat you are all smelling is it
each car tends to have its own smell when the cat gets hot and burns the the crud away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts