2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have had oil consumption issues for a while in my CTR although they are normally within tolerance

ie I tend to top up weekly around 200-300ml, that's approx 650 miles a week.

I have noticed however on especially longer journeys when i'm sat in traffic a lot due to congestion my oil consumption is increased?

last week I did circa 800 miles, however on 1 trip I was stuck in traffic for around 30 mins crawling after a steady 80 mile steady drive.

I have been told the hotter engine temps cause it to burn more oil? is there anything to remedy this?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Engine temp at idle aren't high , best bet is to switch to a 40 grade triple ester oiL such as millers nano, fuchs pro S or Motul 300v .

Mine burns no oil yearly with heavy use.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put on circa 2600 miles a month, and it using similar oil to when I only did like 1000 miles a month, is it just that Honda say it's within tolerance?

It's just I have noticed on previous occasions after topping up, then after a motorway journey in a massive long queue, I get there and the oil light is on!

·
#darkside
2,237 Posts
Your not topping enough up.. Oil light after top up is a massive amount of difference not just 2-300ml..

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Hi all

I have had oil consumption issues for a while in my CTR although they are normally within tolerance

ie I tend to top up weekly around 200-300ml, that's approx 650 miles a week.

I have noticed however on especially longer journeys when i'm sat in traffic a lot due to congestion my oil consumption is increased?

last week I did circa 800 miles, however on 1 trip I was stuck in traffic for around 30 mins crawling after a steady 80 mile steady drive.

I have been told the hotter engine temps cause it to burn more oil? is there anything to remedy this?
when engine is hot ie running temperature remove filler cap and see how much crankcase pressure and smoky vapor if it does try putting seafoam in,, full can drive up to a 1000 miles, i had a 160k mile accord that was doing that burning a fair bit of oil,, after this the sea foam cleaned the insides of engine from carbon build up, the piston rings get gummed up, because of egr gasses being forced in to bores,, also what i do now on my own cars is to put 10% of bottle of sea foam in with fresh oil change stops it from building up again , also i change oil every 8k,,
the accord went from 1 litre every 200-300 miles to hardly anything, and the smokey breathing pretty much stopped, and hydrocarbons at mot drooped a lot.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-FOAM-...457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51c487ca49

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
That's odd as there's no EGR on a K20Z .

Switch to a slightly thicker oil and don't use placebo juice. It's well documented that a Type R that gets moderately well used burns off 30 grade oil

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
switch to thicker oil good luck with that way around it, thickness of oil is all part of the design the design that has been researched by millions of pounds worth of testing by honda to protect the engine form failings.. a engines enemy is dirt and carbon all produced by burning fossil fuels, as for a placebo well i only speak from experience with seafoam,, as for egr valve all modern cars are meant to have them all part of the euro 1.2.3.4.5. and in September euro 6 which all new cars are meant to conform to even high reg's on pollution.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Well the K20z4 doesn't have it end of. There is provision for it in the head and is used in other variants.

There is not one oil specified by Honda or by any other vehicle manufacturer on the planet. If you look at the back of the handbook there is a viscosity vs temperature chart to help you choose oils. Honda reccomend a 30 grade to help with emission and MPG targets end of.

The slightly older A2 engine used in EP3 and even the A version used in the JDM cars were recommended with a 40 grade even though the bearing and ring clearances are identical to the later engine.

Go figure.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
On a point to the OP, the average capacity from min to max on the dipstick is around a litre, so if the lights on it could be a substantial amount of oil.

Just be careful though as the sensor is very inaccurate, even with the software update and is usually a game over light.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nah first time I see the light it wasn't down to the Min, I pulled over and topped up

As for not topping up...I AM lol

Every week I check my oil without fail and its usually 2/3 full so I top up weekly

it's just on 1 occasion it happened when I topped up, went for a long drive and stuck in traffic for an hr fully stopped idling, then I was on the motorway probably going slightly up hill when the light came on

are there any symptoms of this, any visual signs?

Also what are the signs I need valve clearances checked?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
A top end rattle especially on idle But it doesn't lead to oil usage

·
The Red Devil
481 Posts
It does sound like you are going through a fair amount of oil... Have you noticed poor fuel economy than what would be considered normal for a CTR? You could always consider getting the engine terracleaned?

Cheers

Stuart

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
These aren't Audis with stupid direct injection systems.

And besides a coco shell blast I'd better than terraclean, at least then the motor doesn't have to injest the crap.

#snakeoil

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
+1 on thicker oil.
I had a similar problem with my last car , a 14 year old Honda HRV 65,000 on the clock.
I serviced the car using decent recommended top of the range oil and had to top up with approx a pint a week and kept a spare gallon in the boot.
I was strapped for cash and decided to use Asda own brand 10-40 semi synthetic.
Problem solved.
I'm not recommending you use semi synthetic but going to a thicker grade worked for me.
Kind Regards
Supergunn.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've had the same issue with my ctr started using a lot of oil topping up every fuel change and mpg dropped to 16 around town booked in for an early service at my local dealer and added valve clearances and haven't had to top up in two months and vtec kicks in a bit better ?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
could be an issue with valve stem oil seals but you would see a small amount of smoke when you set off which would clear pretty quickly

it's the bit about standing in traffic that got me thinking about the valve stem seals if they were leaking that sort of scenario would be where they would at their worst

dunno just a thought

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
What oil are you currently using? 5-40w is a good grade to be using, 10-40w I am not sure about though.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Well the K20z4 doesn't have it end of. There is provision for it in the head and is used in other variants.

There is not one oil specified by Honda or by any other vehicle manufacturer on the planet. If you look at the back of the handbook there is a viscosity vs temperature chart to help you choose oils. Honda reccomend a 30 grade to help with emission and MPG targets end of.

The slightly older A2 engine used in EP3 and even the A version used in the JDM cars were recommended with a 40 grade even though the bearing and ring clearances are identical to the later engine.

Go figure.
Don't argue with Mike, he's had TWENTY FIVE plus years experience as a mechanic ;)

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
I put on circa 2600 miles a month, and it using similar oil to when I only did like 1000 miles a month, is it just that Honda say it's within tolerance?

It's just I have noticed on previous occasions after topping up, then after a motorway journey in a massive long queue, I get there and the oil light is on!
Are you getting swirls of blue smoke from the exhaust under hard acceleration?

Reactions: Voodoo-Nachoman
1 - 20 of 26 Posts