2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Bedding in correctly is vital and sadly if not do e correctly is only usually found down the line
I've found this as well. I didn't in my EP3 and it would like a drink, maybe a ltr of oil every 1500miles. The FN2 was run in properly and i'd say it uses about 200ml every 8000miles.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
It all depends on your type of driving and the type of runs you do.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Driving in requires using the whole rev range.

If gently driven in the piston rings wont sit correctly and you will generally see more oil usage as it goes on. Not to mention slightly lower power output.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I wouldn't say the whole rev range. The best way to do is accelerate up to 1/3 of the rev range regulary then backing off to idle whilst in gear then gradually build up to 2/3s and backing off, the vacuum forces the rings into the bore to wear in.

Gentle driving doesn't build enough case and cylinder pressure to properly seat the rings, glazing the bores and ultimately leading to wear, lower compression and oil usage/ lack of power.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Boomer89, VTEC systems generally burn about 250ml to a litre every change if you run it in VTEC fairly regularly. I use my Civic FA5 Si ( North American K20 powered sedan) quite mildly, but I do enjoy the loud pedal once in a while.

I agree with onweed in his post just above. Use the car, enjoy it. The oil loss will not be a problem if you check it at least once a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
VTEC like a BOSS
64 Posts
My FN2 used about half a litre of oil every 1000 miles when I first got it (I use VTEC a lot on my cross-country commute), since an oil change to 5-40w it's roughly halved :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I had read these posts about high oil use, but I've had my 09 for 3,500 miles now (it's on 47k total) and have not needed to top up despite checking religiously. I don't rag it to death but certainly vtec it briefly on most outings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How do you tell how much you're using?

After about 4,000 miles mine is a few mm off the max line on the dipstick if that makes any sense

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to add to the story - my car is 2006 1.4 petrol i-DSI engine - 67k. Burning about 1l - 1000 miles - every month I need to top up. Did a lot to improve it and still trying stuff.
Unfortunately I need to agree with initiator of this topic Civics burn oils - apparently not all but there are quite a lot of us :(

I wander what increases the burning - higher revs, colder weather. Can worn clutch contribute?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quick note, this thread is specified for the type r with the k20 engine. Your 1.4 is not a very highly strung engine and should not be drinking oil at a rate like that. Check to see if you get blue smoke out the back or if you lose coolant level there may a small leak somewhere. No a worn clutch won't contribute to oil consumption.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine burns some oil, maybe a cup full per month? I also vtec way too much because vtec :) The more i vtec the more oil it burns. My research in the past on this told me that the K20 engine pushes oil more when it vtecs as a way to not wear out important parts. As hard as this sounds (i haven't been able to do it) try driving for a month without vtec'ing see how the oil usage goes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts