2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In the last couple of days I appear to have picked up a burning rubber smell after a run.

I don't drive fast so despite it smelling hot, the engine shouldn't be and is indicated as below 1/2 on the guage.

Anyone know what this could be?

I was a little suspicious of the front brakes.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Alsone i have had this from time to time on both my FN2s
I happened to notice it was quite bad yesterday evening and i hadnt been pushing it as there was very heavy rain.
I just accept it as being normal. Sometimes it smells of burning rubber and sometimes just a burning smell. I always assume its crap burning off the exhaust which gets hot even if you are not ragging it.

The water temp gauge showing below half is normal even after a good run.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree with R-2! That smell was there with a couple of cars I've owned too not just the civic. So i am assuming its normal for cars to at times give that smell

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have this smell coming from the rear driver side wheel, its like the tyre, but it doesnt seem it, the dealer said it could be a sticky caliper, but said it wasn't, im not convinced he checked the caliper properly and it only really smells in damp/wet weather.

Next time, could you smell the rear driver side and see if its the culprit, along with the passenger side, to see if its only me?

Thanks

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
Jason85, i also get a strong smell of burning rubber from the rear drivers side, still dont know what causes it though, if you ever find out let me know;)

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Proper digging up an old thread here, but did anyone ever get to the bottom of where the rubber burning smell is coming from?
I get this after journey and car has got up to temp, always the same smell of rubber and toward the rear drivers side wheel.
I have checked for hot tyre inside and hanging brackets seem to be fine too.

Any suggestion on where to start checking if I can see heat damage?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Cheers
Dave

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Get exactly the same in my Ep3, not the calipers, the rear discs aren't even hot. I have no idea

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Seems to be a common problem, just makes me think somethings not right. Slightly helps knowing I'm not alone lol.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
OK, with some digging, it is a common problem. It appears those with aftermarket exhausts don't get it but standard do and usually when wet.
I believe it may have been mentioned on here too before, but general consensus is that it the standard exhaust box is close to the rear drivers side inner tyre wall, which gets hot and gives off the smell. It also appears to be more noticeable when it's wet, I concur :-/

Oh dear, does that mean to be able to fix this I need to get a aftermarket exhaust :rolleyes: lol

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
That's my plan :grin2:

It's odd because nothing feels hot enough to cause a smell, I'm guessing it's the exhaust itself, maybe the hangers?

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
lol, yeah, any excuse :)

Possibly hanger, and strange it's more so when wet. I agree that it never feels hot enough to burn to give of a fume of any type from the tyre. Wheres Mulder & Scully when we need them :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts