2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

should we have a min post count for buyers ?

• no

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 25 posts

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 50 posts

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • 100 posts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems im thinking quite a bit tonight :facepalm:

on the same subject as my other suggestion , what do you guys think about some kind of buyer requirement ?

if a for sale post is posted and someone whos just browsing the site as a guest sees it and decides to sign up just to buy that item and an established member misses out by minutes , is that fair ?

just an idea ;)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Ah I'm a moron. :oops:

In that case, I think it should be the same both ways. Read only in the For Sale section until 50 posts sounds fair to me.

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
I am reasonably new here and I must admit that if it was me buying from me (sub. 50 posts and zero feedback) I would be concerned.

50 posts, a month or two membership length to allow sales/purchases of goods up to say £50 until a couple of transactions have been completed?

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am reasonably new here and I must admit that if it was me buying from me (sub. 50 posts and zero feedback) I would be concerned.

50 posts, a month or two to allow sales/purchases of goods up to say £50 until a couple of transactions have been completed?
Funnily enough your 50th post :laugh:

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Funnily enough your 50th post :laugh:
Lol..
I thought I'd posted maybe 25 times or so... Well if thats the case, 100 posts for mm access.

·
ivtec just kicked out,YO!
1,007 Posts
Although this sounds reasonable, requiring 50 posts from new users might end up with this user posting 50 silly posts in one hour just to be able to buy. An aditional month or two membership length suggested by Andrew, on top of certain number of posts, might be a better idea.

But then again, why would they not be able to buy if they saw it first just because they don't like writing on a forum. If you were a seller, you'd want to get rid of the stuff as soon as possible, regardles if the buyer posts romans on the forum or has just signed in.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
perhaps being a member before you're allowed to buy/sell would make more sense?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
We have at times considered making the For Sale and Wanted section open only to supporters, but we feel that this would be too restrictive as the number of people who can see this listing will be reduced significantly.

Everyone can see how long someone has been a member, how many posts they have made, if they are a supporter or not, if they have any iTrader feed-back etc.

Therefore we feel that there is a reasonable amount of information available so that everyone can make their own decisions about how much risk they are willing to take.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I agree with this more as a buyer but as a seller I think there should be some sort of restriction to help make sure people are not scammed

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I agree with this more as a buyer but as a seller I think there should be some sort of restriction to help make sure people are not scammed

But in the same respect; someone could sign up, stick a load of useless info on 50/100/150 posts and then sell something, it's not a way to stop scams
And in fairness (as FWH stated) we've had long time members caught up in bad trades (both sides!) on numerous occasions now

Even the supporter idea wouldn't necessarily work - you pay £5 to join then scam someone (several people) out of £hundreds

It's down to individual judgement and self "arse-covering" (whether buyer or seller) to make good calls on the other party without being gullable or too untrusting

I can see why it's a nice idea, but it's not really much of a realistic concept :facepalm:

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I know what you mean about posts but 2 months membership + min 50 posts to sell makes it a lot harder for the fact if you try and comment on 50 posts in 48hrs people will think you are a troll so it does take a little more effort. No plan is 100% fool proof but it does help stopping this type of thing happening and I would like to point out this example I made

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/site-suggestions-feedback-rules/79334-seller-requirements-2.html#post1271490

I will also add it makes no difference if it is a paypal gift or payment the end result is the same.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I know what you mean about posts but 2 months membership + min 50 posts to sell makes it a lot harder for the fact if you try and comment on 50 posts in 48hrs people will think you are a troll so it does take a little more effort. No plan is 100% fool proof but it does help stopping this type of thing happening and I would like to point out this example I made

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/site-suggestions-feedback-rules/79334-seller-requirements-2.html#post1271490

I will also add it makes no difference if it is a paypal gift or payment the end result is the same.
I know mate, and i do wish there was a 'realistic' way to sort it !!

Look at the likes of Touge and BravaSpeed (spelling here?)
Both companies who had succesfully sold products etc and then fell off the face of the earth with peoples money!

Anyone (even trusted ones) can scam if they have the wish, it's all about trust and 'arse-covering' (i'll use this again :p)

I am aware of the potential paypal scams etc, and althought difficult to combat if people are willing to do it! Paypal are always easy to deal with and very helpfull to resolve issues

The best way is to get tracking numbers and ensure signed post only when selling so you have proof items were sent & received
So you can present paypal with the evidence and they can resolve payment issues their end

It all comes to trust and the malice of the other party (it takes a LOW person to scam...)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts