2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buyers' Guide? (2006 EX I-Vtec 1.8)

I'm considering buying a 2006 Civic EX I-Vtec 1.8 petrol, with 86,000 on the clock. It's listed at £2,500 but states that the seller is open to offers.

Seems in good condition, and no advisories on the last MOT.

Are there any buyers' guides anywhere that give me a bit more as to what to be looking for with this particular model? Also, any thoughts on the price? Is it reasonable, or should I be negotiating hard?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about a guide, but even if the price is 'reasonable', always negotiate hard if you have cash.
I'll certainly be trying to get the best price that I can, but I guess I'm after an opinion as to whether £2,500 is a reasonable figure for something like this if the vendor offers minimal wiggle-room, or whether I should be walking away if he won't budge.

Are there any known/common issues on these Civics that I should be looking for as part of an inspection/test drive?

·
i-Vtec
2,227 Posts
If it has a metal roof check there is no rust along the leading edge of the windscreen. Thats really about it. As long as there are no warning lights on the dash and it drives fine. Ride will be on the firm side so there may be a few rattles, in general is just missing trim clips from the underside.
As for haggling I suppose it depends on how brazen you are. Start too low and he may just laugh at you. Id try £2300 and maybe he would meet you half way at 2400, that way you still feel you get something off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
8g is prone to having some minor glitches. My FN4 had most of them.
- Door handle trim coming off;
- Mirrors not folding completely;

- Radio screen with random missing characters;
- Clutch pedal whining or making snapping noises.

Also keep in mind that a 2006 is prone to some particular known issues for that year like the jump starting with the key in the ignition causing the immobilizer to go nuts and forcing a trip to the dealer.

You'll find some of these going around this forum.

Best of luck on the deal.

P.S. 2500£ seems ludicrously low to me. A car like that, on such mileage, around here (Portugal) would cost twice as much. But hey, we do drive on the right side of the road...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8g is prone to having some minor glitches. My FN4 had most of them.
- Door handle trim coming off;
- Mirrors not folding completely;

- Radio screen with random missing characters;
- Clutch pedal whining or making snapping noises.

Also keep in mind that a 2006 is prone to some particular known issues for that year like the jump starting with the key in the ignition causing the immobilizer to go nuts and forcing a trip to the dealer.

You'll find some of these going around this forum.

Best of luck on the deal.

P.S. 2500£ seems ludicrously low to me. A car like that, on such mileage, around here (Portugal) would cost twice as much. But hey, we do drive on the right side of the road...
That's really useful advice, thanks!

I was thinking that £2,500 was a little on the low side given the mileage, so I'll be going in with my eyes open and doing all my due-diligence!

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
It's the iShift semi-auto box from what I've seen, which I understand is somewhat like marmite!

In that case I'd ask to take it for a good test drive taking in LOTS of junctions & roundabouts to see how the box reacts. This isn't just for defects but because some people find they absolutely HATE the way it works.

Others love it. Drive it and find out which one you are !

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
From previous owners' opinions and from owners' reported issues with the i-shift on the forum, because I'm a cautious type, and because there's a choice of manual 'box cars normally for sale, I'd run a mile from it.

If auto was needed, I would wait a bit and try and save some more for the 5 speed auto. (beware they are a little more thirsty than the manual and probably the i-shift as well to be fair)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In that case I'd ask to take it for a good test drive taking in LOTS of junctions & roundabouts to see how the box reacts. This isn't just for defects but because some people find they absolutely HATE the way it works.

Others love it. Drive it and find out which one you are !
Just a quick follow-up...

Ended up buying the car, had it just over a month now, and I absolutely love the iShift box!

Maybe it's because I've come from a 1999 Ford Fiesta, but it's absolutely brilliant and the kickdown function is the icing on the cake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts