2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering buying a Mk8 Civic, a petrol 1.8. While having a look around the car, I noticed that one of the exhausts looks a bit weird:

http://ibb.co/eBJa8R

Is this normal?

Also, the plastic engine cover has some stuff handwritten on it:

http://ibb.co/g8oLa6

Presumably, it's a used part replacing the original. Could there be any unwelcome reason why this might have been done? Should I be worried?

Apologies for the noob questions! Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
:nopics:

How do you mean wierd?

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Does the 1.4 exhaust exit look like that? If memory serves me the 1.4 used to have covers where the exhaust triangles sit, I assumed the gases exited elsewhere? I could be totally wrong, just a guess to be honest. I'm sure someone will elaborate. The engine cover I would guess is a replacement?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the 1.4 exhaust exit look like that? If memory serves me the 1.4 used to have covers where the exhaust triangles sit, I assumed the gases exited elsewhere? I could be totally wrong, just a guess to be honest. I'm sure someone will elaborate. The engine cover I would guess is a replacement?
I don't know. Both exhausts exit through through the triangles, but only one has that weird little metal plate with the hole in it. I had a look at the exhausts on my existing older Mk8 diesel, but they are different, they point down to the road and don't exit through the triangles.

As for the engine cover, yes I guess it's replaced. Just seems odd as it's a low mileage car that shouldn't have had a lot of tinkering.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Some of the 8th Gen civics had the exhaust that points downward under the rear valence. Only the 2.2 D, Sport n type R had the triangle and the exhaust gases coming through the triangle.. the others were blanks.

As for the writing on the rocker cover.. some old school chaps used to do that to indicate when it was serviced.. but I don't think that's the case ere. Could just be a replacement from a scrap yard..

That's my 10p worth

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Old one may have got cracked by somebody trying to remove it? Not something I'd worry about.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thank you, it seems that the weird bit on the exhaust is entirely normal and I'm not the first to notice it! :D

Re the engine cover, I couldn't see anything else to suggest an accident, but seeing that writing just made me think... why? It's a low mileage car, I can't see any reason for anyone tinkering there other than for services.

I have no idea how to check if it's been resprayed. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Back in the day, some people used to mark engine covers with the date of when the timing belt was changed, but these use a chain. 30/10 could signify 30th October, but no year, so may be a code used by a breaker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts