2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at 2 different Honda Civics and could really do with some advice on which to go for. I have seen them both and they are in a similar condition, a bit scuffed on the bodywork but sparkling on the inside. I drove Option 2 and it ran and pulled like a dream, but have not yet driven Option 1.
Are there any issues with earlier models i should be aware of? Would i be better off with the newer car but higher mileage? are there any common issues i should be aware of? Thanks!

Option 1)
£2695
2008 Civic
1.8 i-VTEC EX 5dr
87,000 on the clock

Option 2)
£2795
2011 Civic
1.8 i-VTEC SE 5dr
96,000 on the clock

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Honestly imo the difference in milage is negligible, especially on a Honda. The later model years usually have all the issues sorted out that the earlier models had Too. I'd personally go with option 2 assuming the only difference between them is this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Good to know.
I'm a little more tempted by 1, as it has all the extras like cruise control, heated seats, panoramic roof and parking sensors etc... Just wanted to know how to weigh it against the benefit of potentially less issues in the long run. Honestly the leather seats are hard to look past.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Good to know.
I'm a little more tempted by 1, as it has all the extras like cruise control, heated seats, panoramic roof and parking sensors etc... Just wanted to know how to weigh it against the benefit of potentially less issues in the long run. Honestly the leather seats are hard to look past.
Ahhh you see I completely overlooked the goodies that come with EX trim 😆 I totally understand where you're coming from. Not saying earlier models necessarily would have more issues just that over the manufacturing period they usually sort out any issues over time. But hey, still a Honda either way so no matter with what option you go for you'll be ok 👍 I'd probably pick option 1 too now that I know the extra bits it comes with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad i'm not alone with the optional extra appeal 😂 cheers for the reassurance, I'll hopefully pick her up this week!

·
i-Vtec
4,735 Posts
Didnt even know you still got SE at 2011, most were Si's. Mileage is negligible, so is price too. As long as its got cruise and 17's 2011 would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
251 Posts
Glad i'm not alone with the optional extra appeal 😂 cheers for the reassurance, I'll hopefully pick her up this week!
I guess I am the opposite. I don’t drive my car much so all the extra are just an extra expense and more to go wrong. Not a fan of leather as it’s very hot in summer and very cold in winter lol but just a personal preference. The later model is nicer and I believe a bit more comfortable but mileage is similar so comes down to what you like though. Mine is 1.8 Vtec and never owned a diesel and it’s smooth to drive and responsive enough for 95% of the time. MPG will depend where you live, your journeys long or short and how you drive it but somewhere between 35 and 40 I would say. Whatever you get I am sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Buy mine for something like 30% of the price of either of those :ROFLMAO: It's a metallic light grey SE 1.8 and I can talk you through what's right and wrong with it.

But in seriousness nothing particularly goes wrong, boot area can leak so check out under the false floor at carpet and metal level.

Engine shouldn't make any loud rattling sounds otherwise it's the chain and stay away.

The car is pretty DIY friendly. Nothing is in stupid places and basic tools can do pretty much maintain the car.

Both options are possibly over priced but that's used car values these days. A 2012 Fiat I looked at was 4.5k, madness...

Anything in particular ask!

·
Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
251 Posts
Buy mine for something like 30% of the price of either of those :ROFLMAO: It's a metallic light grey SE 1.8 and I can talk you through what's right and wrong with it.

But in seriousness nothing particularly goes wrong, boot area can leak so check out under the false floor at carpet and metal level.

Engine shouldn't make any loud rattling sounds otherwise it's the chain and stay away.

The car is pretty DIY friendly. Nothing is in stupid places and basic tools can do pretty much maintain the car.

Both options are possibly over priced but that's used car values these days. A 2012 Fiat I looked at was 4.5k, madness...

Anything in particular ask!
You would have thought in these times prices would have crashed. 10 year old Type R’s asking 11 grand seems completely crazy in the worst economic crash in history. I guess people are looking to ways to feel better and having a nice car is one way. A mad world

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
You would have thought in these times prices would have crashed. 10 year old Type R’s asking 11 grand seems completely crazy in the worst economic crash in history. I guess people are looking to ways to feel better and having a nice car is one way. A mad world
Funnily enough I bought my FK8 because they did drop in price (I see they are returning to pre covid now though) and quite a few of them where being sold by people who couldn't afford them anymore but I did notice that FN2 prices increased for some bizarre reason. Saw a 30k miles 2011 FN2 asking 13k and a Mugen going for 40k!
Maybe finally the FN2 is getting the recognition it deserves? Always felt like Jeremy Clarksons review stained the FN2s reputation for what's actually a brilliant and fun car

·
Registered
251 Posts
Funnily enough I bought my FK8 because they did drop in price (I see they are returning to pre covid now though) and quite a few of them where being sold by people who couldn't afford them anymore but I did notice that FN2 prices increased for some bizarre reason. Saw a 30k miles 2011 FN2 asking 13k and a Mugen going for 40k!
Maybe finally the FN2 is getting the recognition it deserves? Always felt like Jeremy Clarksons review stained the FN2s reputation for what's actually a brilliant and fun car
I would love a well looked after FN2 but not at the prices being asked at the moment. Maybe one day.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
No one is paying those prices for fn2 tbh. I know 2 people who's keen to sell their cars 4k and 6k, but not many takes atm.
Many dogs around for 2-3k that depreciate the value of a good cars.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Clarkson's put down of the FN2 was utterly uncalled for although it doesn't seem to have damaged the reputation of the car much other than to sheep.

Although people know to take him with a pinch of salt. What's worse are the magazines who are in VAG's pocket.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Clarkson's put down of the FN2 was utterly uncalled for although it doesn't seem to have damaged the reputation of the car much other than to sheep.

Although people know to take him with a pinch of salt. What's worse are the magazines who are in VAG's pocket.
And even funnier, the stig actually rated the FN2 the best hot hatch that very same year! I get that Jeremy's review was meant to be light-hearted and entertaining but many people I've come across that don't like the FN2 will regurgitate exactly what he said and they've never even driven one lol. Sheep I guess, better for those that want o own one I guess

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
No one is paying those prices for fn2 tbh. I know 2 people who's keen to sell their cars 4k and 6k, but not many takes atm.
Many dogs around for 2-3k that depreciate the value of a good cars.
There's one 07 plate on Gumtree for a massive £1,150 with 265,000 miles and looks like it's about ready to be crushed 😂 I see more thrashed and abused FN2's on the road nowadays then we'll looked after examples...sad really, same with EP3's

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd go as far to say any EP3 alive still will be looked after, all the trashed ones will be dead now. Crashed or not looked after...

I believe people put too much stock into "professional" reviews of cars, whether that be in magazines or TV.

Only way to know if a car is any good is to try it yourself, I learnt that a few years back and that most magazines talk drivel or are at least paid off by certain manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts