2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post so be gentle.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on purchasing a Type R, what may surprise you is that I'm up to speed on the wiki/faults so this isn't a what to look out for post.

I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to negotiation/bargaining and I was looking for general idea of what to expect to get off the sticker price. I've noticed comments on here saying the Type R market, or rather the hot hatch market in general is a bit flat due to rising cost of ownership etc etc so I imagine things should be stacked in favour of the buyer. I'm guessing time of year is also a factor just now.

I have seen a few GT spec cars on a 60 plate for around 13-13.5k, if you were walking into a Honda dealership looking at a cash purchase what would be a target price to try to get down to. I'm not looking for finance so this is off the table to strat with.

If any of you are car dealers I'm not looking to "do anyone over", I'm just looking for a deal that is likely to be agreeable for both parties.:worms:

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Cash price? Dunno now but have heard of people bargaining down to 17-18k with extras such as mats etc.. free ontop.

Dont know if that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

The parkers valuation sits around 13.5k so I would expect to see a bit off of that but looking through Autotrader there seems to be quite a variation in price. I'm hoping to be realistic about what I can get for my budget (around 12.5k).

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I believe 'cash price' is no longer always the cheapest as dealers make money from the finance companies for so sometimes its worth getting a quote on finance first, haggle it down and then 'changing your mind' and deciding to pay cash and see what they say...

Looks like a good time to buy as the prices have really come down too.

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Evans halshaw have an M200 the now for 14 something, it's a year old with 19k on the clock if I mind right, looked a decent deal, if it were me, based on personal experience (I had a 57 plate type R now a 59 plate) try and get something 09+ as you get the iPod connection which is a bonus plus most of the wee faults/niggles on the earlier models had been resolved by then :)

Still got the usual inherent issues of poor paint quality, release bearing humming etc tho :(

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Probs get a 60plate from Honda for 13500 I would say.

A lot of 11 or 60 plates at Honda will be demos impo so check if that is something that will put u off?

If it is a demo they might be prepared to get rid ASAP so they can register a new demo and get that to count into the month for there figures etc.

I paid 7600 for an 08 plate private that should be a £10,000 car at Honda so there's always room for a deal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I have a budget which I will stick to but I do want to get the most for my money.

I will have a ring round the dealers and see what they can come up with.

·
Registered
307 Posts
...when i got mine, a dealer actually DIDN'T want cash...he said he would rather have a trade in car and finance than me just come with cash...that knackered my idea of offering less for cash!!

anyway, i got mine from a BMW main dealer and just made them fix all faults for a few hundred quid under the asking price, so i picked up a pretty faultless 4 year old car in the end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good stuff mate, let us know how you get on!

Where abouts in Glasgow you based?

Please tell me your a Tim :wink: lol
Although I live in the Southside I am an East coaster so do support either of the big Glasgow teams :cool:

...when i got mine, a dealer actually DIDN'T want cash...he said he would rather have a trade in car and finance than me just come with cash...that knackered my idea of offering less for cash!!

anyway, i got mine from a BMW main dealer and just made them fix all faults for a few hundred quid under the asking price, so i picked up a pretty faultless 4 year old car in the end.
I had a feeling this might be the case but I would rather pay cash and not have any finance secured on the car.

I'm going to see a couple of cars this weekend but I'm in no rush and happy to wait until after Christmas.

·
2008 NHB CTR
106 Posts
Salesman want straight deals it's easier and quicker.
Offer to pay with a debit card that's better than cash as it is cheaper to pay into the bank and counting 13 grand is a pain. Car sales are dead at the moment so it's a good time to buy. Don't keep pointing out negative stuff about the car because it's slightly offensive just be genuine and nice and that way you'll get a good deal.
I work at a independent car dealership by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Salesman want straight deals it's easier and quicker.
Offer to pay with a debit card that's better than cash as it is cheaper to pay into the bank and counting 13 grand is a pain. Car sales are dead at the moment so it's a good time to buy. Don't keep pointing out negative stuff about the car because it's slightly offensive just be genuine and nice and that way you'll get a good deal.
I work at a independent car dealership by the way.
I should have been more clear, by cash I meant no finance involved, what I should have said was a straight sale.

I'm going to have a look at a local car soon but I would need to get about 1k off the sticker price to get it within my budget!

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Hello all, first post so be gentle.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on purchasing a Type R, what may surprise you is that I'm up to speed on the wiki/faults so this isn't a what to look out for post.

I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to negotiation/bargaining and I was looking for general idea of what to expect to get off the sticker price. I've noticed comments on here saying the Type R market, or rather the hot hatch market in general is a bit flat due to rising cost of ownership etc etc so I imagine things should be stacked in favour of the buyer. I'm guessing time of year is also a factor just now.

I have seen a few GT spec cars on a 60 plate for around 13-13.5k, if you were walking into a Honda dealership looking at a cash purchase what would be a target price to try to get down to. I'm not looking for finance so this is off the table to strat with.

If any of you are car dealers I'm not looking to "do anyone over", I'm just looking for a deal that is likely to be agreeable for both parties.:worms:
Have you considered maybe buying an older FN2 for less cash. All Honda approved used cars come with the same benefits and these cars are generally pretty bullet proof. Then you could use the money you save modding the car :D. You would also lose alot less in depreciation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again thanks for all the replies, I have now put a deposit on a car I'm happy with.

The deal I got was Approved used Honda, Black, GT model, 7,500 miles, on a 10 plate for £12k so all in all I'm happy with the deal and feel that I got decent value.

Can't wait to pick it up and start :VTECSMILEY:

·
ex CW FN2 owner
595 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Bet you cant wait to get it. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a bit busy with work at the minute so might have to wait a week or two before picking it up so until then I shall have to bide my time unfortunately.

I drove the CTR on Saturday for the first time with the preconception that the ride was going to be bad but I was pleasantly surprised, I'll grant you it's firm but not as bad as I was led to believe.

I have had a high revving scremer in the past (fto mivec) and also a 4 pot turbo (gt4) and can safely say that on first impressions the Honda VTEC engine is a peach and I look forward to getting it out on the road at every opportunity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts