2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been searching for a Honda Jazz for my Mum. We have now narrowed our search down to two pristine cars.

Both are 2012 (62) reg with CVT transmission. Both have very low mileages that have just clicked over 7000 miles and both are one owner cars.

The first is an ex Motability car that has had two services at a Honda dealer. However, the third service (which should have been done in Nov 2015) was not done. I guess the car was just handed back at this time.

The second car unfortunately has no service history. A lady has owned the car since new and it has only done 7100 miles. It is spotless though, perhaps slightly more so than the first car...although both are in top condition.

Mum seems more keen on the second car because it has parking sensors and she prefers the colour.

The first thing we would do if we purchased either of these cars would be to take it to our local Honda dealer and get the 12+ service done (oil+filter, air filter, pollen filter and brake fluid) and also get the all important CVT fluid flushed and changed. We would then of course ensure that Honda service the car each year going forward. Mum only does about 3000/yr.

So the question is, would buying the car with no service history cause any issues in the future? I would never usually consider a car without service history. However, as the mileage is so low, I'm giving it some serious thought. Would getting the service done immediately and then building the Honda history each year going forward be ok?

Any advice, views, thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
How long is she looking to keep the car? With her low mileage I imagine it would be trouble-free until such time it is old enough to be worth virtually nothing anyway.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I think Mum will probably keep it for 3-4 years, but will service it every year at her local Honda dealer.

I'm guessing that 7100 miles without a service wouldn't have done any damage (car is 3yrs old)? Hoping that if we built up the Honda service history from now it would also not be difficult to sell if Mum did want to do that?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I personally don't see what harm would have come to the car in 3 years for a car on 7k miles. Perhaps some of the fluids would have deteriorated a bit but you are going to change those anyway. I expect it will devalue it slightly, as you can't claim FSH. But any sensible person should be able to look past that and see it shouldn't matter.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Be sure the car is right for the driver, meaning sometimes people make the wrong model choice (I have in the past!).

Selling a car on soon after purchase with no service history might prove difficult/expensive.

Parking sensors fitted is not expensive really. For me to buy a car still faily new with no history after 3 years, it would have to be seriously cheaper than one with (similar spec/condition)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts