2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

This sounds about right for this dealership and I would urge everyone to give them a wide birth. I wouldn’t touch another Honda with a barge pole after my experience with Holdcroft Cobridge. Here’s the review I left them on their Facebook page, I’ve since been in touch with the lad who purchased the car and he wasn’t aware that the gearbox required removing and inspecting when he purchased the car. I was kind in my review and missed out quite a number of issues that I have with Jack and that dealership, anyway here goes.

After hearing great reviews about this dealership from the likes of TDI North and Tegiwa on various social media pages I decided to contact them to see if they could source me a Championship White FK2 Civic Type R. They called me back after about an hour with details of a car that was coming to them as a part ex and I decided to view the car.

Everything was going well on the test drive apart from a quiet whistling/whining noise when the engine was under load, I asked them to investigate but I believed it was a simple case of a loose hose/intake pipe so I paid for the car.

I was contacted the day after sending payment to be advised that the mechanic believes that there’s an issue within the gearbox and that it would need to be removed for inspection. I rejected the car instantly and requested a refund. This was before signing any paperwork and taking ownership of the vehicle, things turned rather sour afterwards.

I was promised by Jack on the Thursday that payment would be returned quickly but received nothing that day so called again on the Friday to distress that I required the money urgently so that I could find a new car. Numerous exchanges were made throughout the day and Jack promised that everything was processed on there end and that I would receive the refund within two hours. Nothing hit my account on the Friday.

I called and spoke to Simon on Saturday morning, Jack wasn’t in. Simon checked the system and advised me that the payment hadn’t been processed and Jack was showing his inexperience. Blatant lies more like pal.

To my horror the car with the gearbox issue pops up on my instagram feed sat on someone else’s drive, sold with a faulty gearbox. I commented on the post questioning their integrity with the new owner which swiftly got deleted and I got blocked from their Instagram account. Trying to hide something Holdcroft?

We are now on Monday, I called Jack to discuss his inability to be honest and the fact that they have sold a car with a known gearbox problem, I threatened to go into the dealership if they didn’t arrange my refund immediately.

Thankfully my refund is all sorted however they have left a young man with a car with a problem that should of been fixed before selling.

Please avoid at all costs.
Did you leave a review on google? They've since closed all reviews on their facebook page in addition to letting people comment or like posts, it's share only now - strangely as I started posting things on their facebook page. It's infuriating that a dealership would actively stop people either positively or negative engaging with them via social media when it should be one of their main forms of advertising.

Yes I've dealt with Jack also, he was the one we asked to get a car down from Warrington, chased it twice before asking the wife to ring as I had a lot else to do, the reply was we've been trying to call your fella all day despite me having no missed calls or voicemails on either mobile or the office line. Every person in sales I've had to deal with has found some way of not doing what I've asked or completely lied to my face, admittedly other than Ray - who will quite happily tell you something is complete balls in front of everyone, as it should be - Ray's great. :grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

There's a good guide on money saving expert on how to do the small claims court, just remember everything counts, all travel to and from, telephone calls, time off work, fitting of parts, buying service parts, meetings, will soon add up. Last time I bought a new car I had everything in duplicate, even the stuff not mentioned on the invoice, overkill I know but it works for me.
Good luck and welcome to the forum, and keep us posted
I'm not sure if small claims an option though. Ideally I'd love to just get the money for getting the parts and get it installed myself, because it's clear Holdcroft Cobridge aren't willing to do anything - and I find it difficult to get anything in writing as the dealer principle prefers face to face shockingly...then denies what's been said...

How did you manage to get all of that information together? At the minute they've refused to give me info, I asked for all the warranty work done on the Accord and I was told we can show you on screen but that's it...odd seen as it's on my car :surprise:

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Did you leave a review on google? They've since closed all reviews on their facebook page in addition to letting people comment or like posts, it's share only now - strangely as I started posting things on their facebook page. It's infuriating that a dealership would actively stop people either positively or negative engaging with them via social media when it should be one of their main forms of advertising.

Yes I've dealt with Jack also, he was the one we asked to get a car down from Warrington, chased it twice before asking the wife to ring as I had a lot else to do, the reply was we've been trying to call your fella all day despite me having no missed calls or voicemails on either mobile or the office line. Every person in sales I've had to deal with has found some way of not doing what I've asked or completely lied to my face, admittedly other than Ray - who will quite happily tell you something is complete balls in front of everyone, as it should be - Ray's great. :grin2:
No, I decided to leave it be after that until I saw your issues. They have some serious problems with staffing at Holdcroft, never met so many inept tw*ts under the same roof.

A friend lives in Werrington and he’s just drove past Holdcroft and on to Stuart Graham when purchasing his latest Honda.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Yes I've dealt with Jack also, he was the one we asked to get a car down from Warrington, chased it twice before asking the wife to ring as I had a lot else to do, the reply was we've been trying to call your fella all day despite me having no missed calls or voicemails on either mobile or the office line. Every person in sales I've had to deal with has found some way of not doing what I've asked or completely lied to my face, admittedly other than Ray - who will quite happily tell you something is complete balls in front of everyone, as it should be - Ray's great. /forum/images/Civinfo_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
No, I decided to leave it be after that until I saw your issues. They have some serious problems with staffing at Holdcroft, never met so many inept tw*ts under the same roof.

A friend lives in Werrington and he’s just drove past Holdcroft and on to Stuart Graham when purchasing his latest Honda.
Unfortunately Stuart Graham is another Holdcroft Honda, the name being left as Stuart Graham presumably to try and avoid the stereotype! I'd make sure you leave a review, I'm collating as many experiences as I can to make a case to the managing director that somethings not right and this isn't the first time they failed a customer

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Travel:- miles travelled at business rate, also claim for parking, (keep receipt) Telephone calls:- If it’s a landline all outgoing calls are logged and priced, mobile, you will get that from service provider. Time off work, assuming you earn £10ph that’s £1 every six minutes, so If you had a meeting that lasted 18 minutes, you’ve lost £3 in wages. Parts and fitting you already know the price of.
Warranty work on screen, ask for a printout, if they won't give you that then tell HUK you suspect them of fudging the service schedule.
This is a direct quote from a letter that I sent to HUK about my dealership, take note of the second paragraph. Make of it what you want but as all the franchises are company owned Honda will always refer you to their company mediation, in short don’t expect too much help from Honda.

Naturally, we are always concerned to receive any criticism of our retail organisation, a network of which we are proud. All of our dealerships are closely monitored through regular customer surveys, which are completed on our behalf through an independent company, and by feedback from our customers by letter or telephone call into our department. The surveys cover all aspects of the dealerships conduct in sales and service and are scored on their performance.
If the dealerships are found to create a number of complaints, they are monitored more closely for a certain period, if their performance continues below Honda standards they will eventually have their franchise withdrawn from their company. As I am sure you can understand our dealerships would not want to risk this happening and so make every effort to maintain high standards throughout their business.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Travel:- miles travelled at business rate, also claim for parking, (keep receipt) Telephone calls:- If it’s a landline all outgoing calls are logged and priced, mobile, you will get that from service provider. Time off work, assuming you earn £10ph that’s £1 every six minutes, so If you had a meeting that lasted 18 minutes, you’ve lost £3 in wages. Parts and fitting you already know the price of.
Warranty work on screen, ask for a printout, if they won't give you that then tell HUK you suspect them of fudging the service schedule.
This is a direct quote from a letter that I sent to HUK about my dealership, take note of the second paragraph. Make of it what you want but as all the franchises are company owned Honda will always refer you to their company mediation, in short don’t expect too much help from Honda.

Naturally, we are always concerned to receive any criticism of our retail organisation, a network of which we are proud. All of our dealerships are closely monitored through regular customer surveys, which are completed on our behalf through an independent company, and by feedback from our customers by letter or telephone call into our department. The surveys cover all aspects of the dealerships conduct in sales and service and are scored on their performance.
If the dealerships are found to create a number of complaints, they are monitored more closely for a certain period, if their performance continues below Honda standards they will eventually have their franchise withdrawn from their company. As I am sure you can understand our dealerships would not want to risk this happening and so make every effort to maintain high standards throughout their business.
I think I was quoted the exact same from HUK.
I'll start making a list of charges. I'm querying at the minute if I can get my Accord to have another Honda Used Safety Check, as the one they did I think was fudged as the technician was sacked afterwards - I asked Holdcroft and they said they won't do it as it highlights 5 months worth of wear - erm, yes but it's still under warranty for one, and two a competent technician should be able to see if certain faults are longstanding or have occurred recently.

I asked for the offer letter on the Civic last week and I was met with a response of sorry I cant, all correspondence is to go through the dealer principle (the entire dealership has been told not to talk to me by Holdcroft's senior management team), so I assumed he would send me the info as he was CC'd in the reply, nothing. I'm told by the managing directors PA the MD was on site Friday for a meeting to discuss things and this was one of the things on the agenda.

I just don't see their point - the response I've had verbally (because heaven forbid them putting anything in writing) is the MD doesn't know what to do to keep your business, and thinks you should maybe go to a non Holdcroft dealership in future, so essentially we don't want to resolve it and want you to go away? That about sums it up right?:crying: One of my wife's trained driving instructors got in touch at the weekend to say he'd had major problems as well, and ended up going to the dealership daily and causing such a scene customers were leaving the building :serious:

I'm going to ring two other Honda dealers this morning and query the price on a safety check on the Accord, I've been collating evidence at the weekend for negative reviews, trying to find similar cases etc. which is going rather well - there's a lot to choose from, and I'm going to use these as a pack to call out to the MD which I'm looking to get a meeting with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I think I was quoted the exact same from HUK.
I'll start making a list of charges. I'm querying at the minute if I can get my Accord to have another Honda Used Safety Check, as the one they did I think was fudged as the technician was sacked afterwards - I asked Holdcroft and they said they won't do it as it highlights 5 months worth of wear - erm, yes but it's still under warranty for one, and two a competent technician should be able to see if certain faults are longstanding or have occurred recently.

I asked for the offer letter on the Civic last week and I was met with a response of sorry I cant, all correspondence is to go through the dealer principle (the entire dealership has been told not to talk to me by Holdcroft's senior management team), so I assumed he would send me the info as he was CC'd in the reply, nothing. I'm told by the managing directors PA the MD was on site Friday for a meeting to discuss things and this was one of the things on the agenda.

I just don't see their point - the response I've had verbally (because heaven forbid them putting anything in writing) is the MD doesn't know what to do to keep your business, and thinks you should maybe go to a non Holdcroft dealership in future, so essentially we don't want to resolve it and want you to go away? That about sums it up right?:crying: One of my wife's trained driving instructors got in touch at the weekend to say he'd had major problems as well, and ended up going to the dealership daily and causing such a scene customers were leaving the building :serious:

I'm going to ring two other Honda dealers this morning and query the price on a safety check on the Accord, I've been collating evidence at the weekend for negative reviews, trying to find similar cases etc. which is going rather well - there's a lot to choose from, and I'm going to use these as a pack to call out to the MD which I'm looking to get a meeting with.
So, meeting with the MD went flat on it's face - he's declined to meet with me and supports the view of the dealership and feels that a refund of £600 and a seat swap is fair enough. So looks like we're at legal advice time!

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Did you have to pay for the removal of the originally fitted dual controls/fitment of the he-man system, or did the dealership pay.

With the seats, I would have thought because there's nothing on paper you were receiving a Honda factory fit/approved heated seat option and the dealership in response to your unhappiness of their fitment, have offered to refund your money for that together with fresh seats, you may be 'skating on thin ice' regarding additional recompense.

Certainly you've been lead a merry dance by them, stitched you up really with the promise of what you wanted, but were never going to deliver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Did you have to pay for the removal of the originally fitted dual controls/fitment of the he-man system, or did the dealership pay.

With the seats, I would have thought because there's nothing on paper you were receiving a Honda factory fit/approved heated seat option and the dealership in response to your unhappiness of their fitment, have offered to refund your money for that together with fresh seats, you may be 'skating on thin ice' regarding additional recompense.

Certainly you've been lead a merry dance by them, stitched you up really with the promise of what you wanted, but were never going to deliver.
I made them pay for it, they tried to tell me it was some form of goodwill, so I corrected them by saying I've already paid for the dual controls, you didn't fit what I asked and as a result it blew up in your face because they failed as a result of using an unapproved installer and non-genuine kit.

I know what you're saying, the issue I have with that is that they're well aware that by me having the seat swap and the refund that I can't install another seat of heated seats, which my wife needs as she struggles with lower back pain, the uprated kit that would be a like for like kit for what's in an EX is another £120 on top of the refunded price, in addition there's the £86 for the Honda switches, £202 for a replacement trim around the heater controls (the existing SR version doesn't have switch blanks), and the price on the plugs for the back of the switches, which Honda inform me they don't have as a separate item so I'd need a complete dash wiring loom just to take 3cm of cable and splice that onto the installers pre-made loom, that's another £1000 plus the extra cost on top of the £720 the installer said they'd need for it being a custom job (bench testing the switch pack etc.)

But yes, I feel like I'm skating uphill - except there's no ice, it's a mountain, and there's lava running down the side towards me...:surprise:

I'm going to be doing a subject access request to get all calls, logs etc. in order to build a case against them, because it's going to need a claim of about £2500-3000 to put the seats in, as good as they would be if Honda did their job properly, that's excluding the cost of fitting new seats though!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
But yes, I feel like I'm skating uphill - except there's no ice, it's a mountain, and there's lava running down the side towards me..

I think you should change your avatar to Sisyphus:smile3:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Crikey that's a marathon read !!! :smile3: (about 12 hours ago I copied it into notepad and read it offline in several steps).

As soon as you had the initial problem with the badly fitted dual-controls, you should at least have given the dealer one attempt to get it fixed, to your satisfaction, within 1 week. You then had the legal right to leave the car with them and demand either all your money back, or, return of the Auris and anything you'd paid to put you back where you were when you first walked into the dealership to talk to the new-car sales rep. If you'd had to hire a replacement dual-control car in the meantime, you could have also claimed those costs back. You could also have employed solicitors and recovered their costs. You would have easily won in a court, it doesn't matter that the dual-controls were not HeMan, the fact that the dealer used a 3rd party installer who fitted it poorly (and probably would not be able to fix it), means that you had no confidence in the dealer's ability to get any 3rd party to do it timely and properly, to your satisfaction. It cannot be true that there's a £10,000 limit, otherwise there wouldn't be High Court Sheriffs on TV chasing claims of £30k.

Anyway, regarding the Accord, you've met the general incompetence of Honda dealers regarding several of the Accord's issues. Squeaking clutch-pedal - tick , handbrake issues - tick, clogged DPF (8th gen diesel) - tick, 4 wheel alignment issues - tick, switch-pack (8th gen) - tick, sticking rear-brakes (mostly 7th gen but does appear on 8th gen) - not yet, rusty sun-roof (8th gen) - not yet (or already dealt with by previous owner).

Also, as already stated, going to HondaKarma forum with issues like this, would be like going to Scientologists and saying that you'd found an alien space-ship in the rain-forests near the Amazon, but it turned out to be a paddle-steamer that was dumped there 100 years ago. They're (mostly) similar to Scientologists on that forum. If you've also stumbled across another UK forum that does Accords only, they've temporarily stopped new sign-ups due to loads of spam, but that's good because it's a stalking-horse for re-mapping services. AFAIK this forum is the only UK Honda forum where you'll get fair conversation the same way that you would in real life :wink3:

--edited the legal way of handling issues with problem cars from dealers (for anyone reading this in the future)--

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,089 Posts
If you've also stumbled across another UK forum that does Accords only, they've temporarily stopped new sign-ups due to loads of spam, but that's good because it's a stalking-horse for re-mapping services

Hahahaha, so true! @Jon_G can confirm that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Crikey that's a marathon read !!! :smile3: (about 12 hours ago I copied it into notepad and read it offline in several steps).

As soon as you had the initial problem with the badly fitted dual-controls, you should at least have given the dealer one attempt to get it fixed, to your satisfaction, within 1 week. You then had the legal right to leave the car with them and demand either all your money back, or, return of the Auris and anything you'd paid to put you back where you were when you first walked into the dealership to talk to the new-car sales rep. If you'd had to hire a replacement dual-control car in the meantime, you could have also claimed those costs back. You could also have employed solicitors and recovered their costs. You would have easily won in a court, it doesn't matter that the dual-controls were not HeMan, the fact that the dealer used a 3rd party installer who fitted it poorly (and probably would not be able to fix it), means that you had no confidence in the dealer's ability to get any 3rd party to do it timely and properly, to your satisfaction. It cannot be true that there's a £10,000 limit, otherwise there wouldn't be High Court Sheriffs on TV chasing claims of £30k.

Anyway, regarding the Accord, you've met the general incompetence of Honda dealers regarding several of the Accord's issues. Squeaking clutch-pedal - tick , handbrake issues - tick, clogged DPF (8th gen diesel) - tick, 4 wheel alignment issues - tick, switch-pack (8th gen) - tick, sticking rear-brakes (mostly 7th gen but does appear on 8th gen) - not yet, rusty sun-roof (8th gen) - not yet (or already dealt with by previous owner).

Also, as already stated, going to HondaKarma forum with issues like this, would be like going to Scientologists and saying that you'd found an alien space-ship in the rain-forests near the Amazon, but it turned out to be a paddle-steamer that was dumped there 100 years ago. They're (mostly) similar to Scientologists on that forum. If you've also stumbled across another UK forum that does Accords only, they've temporarily stopped new sign-ups due to loads of spam, but that's good because it's a stalking-horse for re-mapping services. AFAIK this forum is the only UK Honda forum where you'll get fair conversation the same way that you would in real life :wink3:

--edited the legal way of handling issues with problem cars from dealers (for anyone reading this in the future)--
I wish we had rejected the car straight away, problem was we didn't realise the controls weren't genuine, and they didn't fail straight away - I would have never known about the brake pedal not being bolted in without pulling on the pedals, which I wouldn't have known to do, unfortunately by the time we'd noticed it was failing (the emergency stops it kept doing) the auris would have been long gone, I tried asking for it while I asked for a 9th Gen Civic replacement and in both cases they refused, they did have their one chance at fixing it though, by replacing it with a more reliable kit, but they refused to do the work and asked me to sort it all, so I had to arrange everything, then meet with the installer on a motorway junction for him to assess the current kit, then go to Birmingham from Stoke (about an hour or so) to take the day off to get that installed.

It's one of the issues I'm looking to raise in the court case, the lack of competency in installing the dual controls and finding someone who was adequately trained, they will try and fob it off knowing Holdcroft by saying they paid for another kit to be installed, but its still not a production kit in the vehicle now, more a prototype that's been cut to fit, yes it's now He-Man and seems to work well but it should have never had to come to that.

One interesting development I've had is with the installer of the original dual controls, who informs me he was subcontracted to fit the dual controls and was instructed to fit a universal kit because 'a second company' told him there wasn't a kit for the Civic from He-Man - so what he's admitted there is at the point of fitting the dual controls it was known there was no kit for the Civic, and no one had the good graces to inform me of this. It's been conveniently covered up.

The heated seat company have also confirmed that any kit installed in the Civic has been specified specifically by the customer on the order form, which in this case was Holdcroft Honda Cobridge, so they've confirmed that in both cases at the point of installation of their the duals or the heated seats, people were made aware of what was specifically being fitted to the vehicle - however I was not, funny that? Almost like they didn't want to inform me?

So those two admissions are great evidence to prove Holdcroft were at fault during the sales process. Its looking like I'm going to have to get a formal quote for the Honda parts and the heated seat installation from the external company to take to court as evidence of this is what it will cost me to put everything right, which at the minute from phone calls is £2008, that's without the cost of new seats if the foam is scrap when they remove the old kit. It's got to go back to Honda towards the end of this month for the centre console to be fixed, so I'll be asking to keep that section of trim as evidence and taking pictures before it goes in - no doubt they will conveniently lose it when I go to pick the car up (it's an overnight job)

I don't get why the Accord seems to cause so much of a head ache, to buyers yeah there's not even a haynes manual so guesswork is key in doing anything on it, but dealers have manuals galore! It's going back in soon to have a new instrument cluster, because the brightness dial was broken before purchase, it's an £8 part, but they want to spend £1000 on a new cluster...erm???
I've still got the figure out why I've got a grinding noise under the front wheels when turning in country lanes, I suspect it's crap between the disc and brake shield, and there's a rattle that sounds like it's either around the rear seats or boot area, sounds like plastic flexing, it's one of those noises you tune out because you've heard it so much!

I've spoken to another customer of Honda's with bad experiences who has a civic, I'm assuming the same engine as she's got the same master cylinder issue, she's had 3 replaced and it's still happening, surely that's a design flaw and essentially Honda's problem?

I agree with Honda Karma, tried asking the admin what his problem was via email, nothing, asked the admin of the facebook group, got banned from that, found his personal facebook and sent a message on that, no doubt I'll be banned from that too, I've been banned from Holdcroft Honda Cobridge's facebook page, banned from Honda Karma, and even now from the facebook page of Honda UK, as I was sharing my experiences - admittedly on every post, but it was a genuine experience all the same, got banned from there and one of the users on there has sent me a message saying they're actively deleting all your negative comments away from their posts - so even Honda UK is covering up bad PR, which is insane!

Glad to be on this forum though, haven't been on forums much since Briskoda (skoda forum), where most of the banter is 10% I'll help but only after I've taken the mick out of you for 90% of the post, it's all good though as everyone does it, there's only so many times someone can come up with a car thats supposedly immaculate and not messed with, oh but erm it's got a blown turbo...£1700? :laugh2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish we had rejected the car straight away, problem was we didn't realise the controls weren't genuine, and they didn't fail straight away - I would have never known about the brake pedal not being bolted in without pulling on the pedals, which I wouldn't have known to do, unfortunately by the time we'd noticed it was failing (the emergency stops it kept doing) the auris would have been long gone, I tried asking for it while I asked for a 9th Gen Civic replacement and in both cases they refused, they did have their one chance at fixing it though, by replacing it with a more reliable kit, but they refused to do the work and asked me to sort it all, so I had to arrange everything, then meet with the installer on a motorway junction for him to assess the current kit, then go to Birmingham from Stoke (about an hour or so) to take the day off to get that installed.
I should point out that I'm no legal expert, but I have used small claims in the past. It's all about stating the case as succinctly as possible, just keep it to the mot essential facts. IMO, what you've put in that paragraph should be enough.

I don't think you can use hearsay, of what a 3rd party said, as evidence. You'd need the 3rd party to provide a written statement substantiating what you heard them say, and I doubt if a 3rd party will want to get involved to that extent.

Regarding the Accord, like most cars, it has its foibles, which aren't too big to handle once you know the remedies. But they involve DIY , not dealers, the latter tend to just replace parts ad hoc, whereas parts replacement is not the way to cure the foibles that a car has. You can get copies of Electronic Service Manuals (ESM) on DVD, but the ESM for the 8th gen is truly horrible to use. Even the ESM for the 7th gen isn't particularly user-friendly. ESM for both 7th and 8th gens only runs in Internet Explorer, IE version 8 IIRC , otherwise the javascript tends to put the graphics over the writing. If you want a copy by internet download, send me a PM for the link.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I should point out that I'm no legal expert, but I have used small claims in the past. It's all about stating the case as succinctly as possible, just keep it to the mot essential facts. IMO, what you've put in that paragraph should be enough.

I don't think you can use hearsay, of what a 3rd party said, as evidence. You'd need the 3rd party to provide a written statement substantiating what you heard them say, and I doubt if a 3rd party will want to get involved to that extent.

Regarding the Accord, like most cars, it has its foibles, which aren't too big to handle once you know the remedies. But they involve DIY , not dealers, the latter tend to just replace parts ad hoc, whereas parts replacement is not the way to cure the foibles that a car has. You can get copies of Electronic Service Manuals (ESM) on DVD, but the ESM for the 8th gen is truly horrible to use. Even the ESM for the 7th gen isn't particularly user-friendly. ESM for both 7th and 8th gens only runs in Internet Explorer, IE version 8 IIRC , otherwise the javascript tends to put the graphics over the writing. If you want a copy by internet download, send me a PM for the link.
Yeah the manual would be good, how do you PM on here? I tried messaging someone last week and it showed as a public comment on their profile so I assume its not that lol.

How did you get on in small claims? Ive never done it before I'm kinda going full legal on it, aiming to quote legislation and back it up with evidence etc. The emails I've managed to get today prove the installer for the duals was instructed to use a universal kit after being told there was no He-Man kit, so it proves it was known about prior to hand over of the vehicle - which is a major breakthrough. That could be argued as misrepresentation and it's easier to evidence than the seats, which would rely on myself and my wifes statement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Click on their username on one of their posts and choose "Send a private message...." from the drop down. Both you and they need to have 20 posts though.
Should work for the OP by now ;)

Yeah the manual would be good, how do you PM on here? I tried messaging someone last week and it showed as a public comment on their profile so I assume its not that lol.

How did you get on in small claims? Ive never done it before I'm kinda going full legal on it, aiming to quote legislation and back it up with evidence etc. The emails I've managed to get today prove the installer for the duals was instructed to use a universal kit after being told there was no He-Man kit, so it proves it was known about prior to hand over of the vehicle - which is a major breakthrough. That could be argued as misrepresentation and it's easier to evidence than the seats, which would rely on myself and my wifes statement.
Don't raise your hopes too high on the ESM, in relation to the old-style Haynes I wouldn't call it a "manual", more of a hodgepodge of "for this, do that", which is spattered about in an index, along with a crumby search facility. Think of a jig-saw puzzle with no picture on the box and some pieces missing.

Small Claims was very straight-forward for me because I'd loaned somebody over £5k in money 3 years before I started the County Court claim. Before lending the money, I'd written up a loan agreement which he'd signed (phew). The reason why I left it 3 years was because I kept an eye on what he was up to, but then he disappeared. He did try to defend by letter to the court, saying it was a loan for a "business venture" in which I was supposedly involved.

The process goes like this: I submit the claim with my initial evidence, and that is sent to the defender, who then submits a defence, which I get to see before the court date, and I have time to submit counter-evidence (in this case, I had kept all the emails between us, as well as text messages, which clearly showed it was his business venture alone, nothing to do with me). The case is held in a small room with a judge who's sitting there in ordinary clothes. In my case, the defender had said he'd attend by conference-call, which he never made, so I won the case by default.

The problem then came in tracking him down, which became quite convoluted, but to cut a very long story short, I discovered a property that he owned which he was renting out, and I put a "charge" on the property. Eventually he started to default on the mortgage on that property, the bank repossessed the house, sold it, and after the bank took their cut, I got my cut (with costs and a lot of interest included) leaving him with diddly. Basically, with costs and interest, he lost almost double the amount he'd borrowed from me.

It's all commonsense but you have to present your side in a concise and coherent manner, and keep some of the cards back. If you use a lawyer, make sure you use one that specialises in your sort of claim, but be aware that, just as with accountants and GPs, lawyers are not perfect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Click on their username on one of their posts and choose "Send a private message...." from the drop down. Both you and they need to have 20 posts though.
I think mine must be broken, I did that on Golden Brown's username and it shows a drop down and in there it says:

View Public Profile
Find more Posts by Golden_Brown
Add Golden_Brown to your contacts

Am I missing a button there? :smile3:

21 - 40 of 87 Posts