2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
You can pay with bankers draft, debit card or credit card (fees may apply).

It's worth phoning your bank in advance to warn them of this transaction as they may otherwise block it for security reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
You would find it very hard to pay a large sum in cash because of money laundering laws. The dealer should have no problem with a debit card. I just paid a 5 figure sum for my car with debit card. It was a bit frightening how esy it all went through!!

LP

·
Registered
732 Posts
You would find it very hard to pay a large sum in cash because of money laundering laws. The dealer should have no problem with a debit card. I just paid a 5 figure sum for my car with debit card. It was a bit frightening how esy it all went through!!

LP
i paid mine the same way... quiet scarey when i entered my pin, i had to look twice, 3 times just to make sure it was right

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
I've paid for a car in proper cash before, was quite a walk from the bank to the dealer!

Also paid using debit card, that was a receipt to keep. :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I bought mine privately and paid cash.
Turned up at the guys house with a 5 figure sum in a brown envelope.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Buying private or from a dealer?

Dealer will take a Debit Card as it's as good as cash to them. Credit card they won't accept as the payment can be reversed or canceled easily.
They'll take a CC (Honda took mine); but they'll pass the fee on to you!

Did the same when buying my motorbike... must say I felt rather vulnerable walking out of my bank with the cash in my pocket!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts

same :lol: iv never seen so much money in my hands before! Did make a very good haggling tool. Haggled the price down 600 and i said, heres the deal theres x amount cash right here take it or leave it :D £900 off initial price whoop!

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
knowing my local dealer where i brought my civic from ( last car wasnt too relieble so got to know them very well over 2 years {damn citroen electrics}) many dealers have a limit on how much they can accept in cash, Marshalls Cambridge i believe is about £2K, limits chance of thiefs as well as accusations of money laundering.
Visa card is easier and more secure as its electronically traceable.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
same :lol: iv never seen so much money in my hands before! Did make a very good haggling tool. Haggled the price down 600 and i said, heres the deal theres x amount cash right here take it or leave it :D £900 off initial price whoop!
Amazing how much extra buying power you have when the cash is right in front of someone... :D

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
As all have said, there are limits legally as to how much cash we can take and you will find that most dealerships will have limits themselves as to how much they'll take. (we dont like having thousands in cash on site for the obvious reasons).

Debit card is by far the best as it is as good as cash and secure for both parties, just make sure you let your bank know that you are to be spending £X as they may halt the transaction and engage in plentiful security checks and 'phone calls.

Cheques are a plain no no, not many places will accept them full stop now.

Credit cards are all well and good but many places will pass the % transaction cost on to the user, usually 2/3% of the price being paid. Depends how much you want those points really.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As said before, make sure you let your bank know if your paying on debit. I didn't, and when trying to pay the deposit had to engage in a 3 way conference call where I could hardly hear anything and the person asking the question didn't have the best english, which made it all the worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.